Alaska, are you getting ready for Mt. Redoubt eruption?

Quote:
He is not taking those eggs on the race with him I hope..
ep.gif

gig.gif
I could see how you could infer that from the way I wrote that... LOL! No... his birds aren't laying yet... that will be after they start in the Spring. I hope to get some breeding stock from him first, though.
smile.png

Still chuckling...

2009-02-05 19:22:16

Unrest at Redoubt Volcano continues. Seismic activity remains elevated well above background levels.

AVO seismometers recorded two bursts of more intense tremor today. National Weather Service radar, pilot observations, and a brief web camera glimpse of the volcano late this afternoon confirmed that no eruption occurred. Following this burst, background tremor has remained elevated relative to the past several days.

I only have 6 1/2 hours left until I climb on a plane for home. Please, please, please
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
let the volcano hold off until after that! My little girl is sick and I want to be home with her!

Boy Erin... I hope it does too!! The bottom line of the seismograph is starting to thicken up again... we're keeping a close eye on it.
fl.gif
Have a safe trip home!!!

2009-02-06 13:05:32 - Weekly Update

Unrest at Redoubt Volcano continues, though no eruption has yet occurred. Seismic activity at the volcano remains above background levels and has waxed and waned over the last week. Yesterday from 11:18 to about 16:00 AKST, there were several periods of more intense seismic tremor. Since then, nearly continuous low-level seismic tremor has been recorded.

Clear web camera images currently show no activity at the volcano. Observers on overflights during the past week reported intermittent steam plumes from the area of the 1989-90 lava dome, continued melting of the upper Drift glacier, and increased water discharge along the lower Drift glacier and into the Drift River. Airborne gas measurements on January 31 and February 2 recorded levels of the magmatic gas CO2 several times greater than the value recorded on November 2, 2008.

Gas and heat flux, combined with ongoing seismic activity, suggest that new magma has been emplaced within the crust below Redoubt and that it is actively degassing. We do not know the exact depths or volume of the magma; nor is it certain that the magma will continue to rise to the surface. On the basis of current activity, however, the most likely scenario is an eruption similar to or smaller than the 1989-90 eruption. It is somewhat less likely that no eruption will occur or that the volcano has an eruption larger than that of 1989-90.

AVO personnel installed two new seismic instruments near Redoubt over the past week, and improved signals coming in from the Redoubt seismic network at AVO's facility in Homer.

I made it home and Redoubt still hasn't blown. Yay! Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone. I'm so glad to be home and Tessa is really sick so she definitely needed her mommy!

Back
Top Bottom