Alaska, are you getting ready for Mt. Redoubt eruption?

Quote:
HAHA... so true! but yellowstone won't be this massive explosion that will devastate the entire planet all at once( the effects will be slow)... and about the earthquake in seattle, if you'll go to the usgs site and look at their "shake map", it shows the ridiculous amount of earthquakes in alaska.. though, i just wonder when redoubt blows, will mt rainier take the initiative and fall over? lol
lol.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Quote:
No, I moved up here in '98. I was caught in the aftermath of the '89 eruption, though... I was in Seattle for a job interview (unbeknownst to my mother) and my return flight to San Diego was coming from Anchorage. It was delayed because of the ash. My brother was leaving CA, and Mom was having a going-away party at her house for him. I finally had to call her, collect, from Seattle to tell her I was going to be late. The call sounded something like this:

Me: Hi Mom.
Mom: WHERE ARE YOU?!?
Me: Um... Seattle?
hide.gif

Mom: WHY ARE YOU IN SEATTLE?!?!?
Me: Um... well, you see... IhadajobinterviewthatIdidn'twanttoworryyouaboutjustincaseIdidn'tgetthejob... so I didn't tell you.

Long pause...

Me: I'm sorry I didn't tell you.
Mom: Well, OK... as long as you're ok. (Mom's always cool like that).
big_smile.png

lau.gif
too funny! I've had those same type of conversations with my mom! I just got back from a 2 day trip with my best friend to Santa Cruz, told her when I got back because otherwise she worries.
roll.png

Anyway, hope all of you up there in Alaska are okay... and your little chickadees too!

Nancy​

I'm sure were going to be fine.

I was here the last time Redoubt blew, and Augustine, and Ilimana, and Spurr, and Shishaldon, and Okmok, and I was weathered in down in the Aleutian islands in a small village (25 people, they don't get much smaller than that) when Cleveland blew. You know come to think of it maybe I'm bad luck!
fl.gif

We put tarps over the bird and bunnies tonight to keep their runs clear of ash. If we get ash fall (like we did last time) we'll close up the coops. We have a generator if the power goes out, bunch of food and water stored. And of course guns, ammo, and beer just in case this turns out to be armageddon.

On the bright side ash is great to help amend soils for this springs planting.

Quote:
HAHA... so true! but yellowstone won't be this massive explosion that will devastate the entire planet all at once( the effects will be slow)...

Ahh yes, but I live in Yellowstone's backyard. Just the fallout from the ash will turn the lights out here before most anyone else knows. I'm 75 miles from the park as the crow flies and 100 from the lake.

Buster -- If the lights do go out, I hope you are ready. During the ice storm here in 1996, we were without electricity for almost a week. Learned quickly!!! Without electricity, the pump doesn't work and there's no water in the house which means...no flushing the toilet. We had two wood stoves so keeping things warm and us fed was no problem. But not having flushable toilets was a disastor. Didn't take long to get that issue fixed!!

Michele.

See, that's why you pull a pair of wool socks onto the seat in that little house out behind the shack.

Electricity? I can't remember power failures being an issue with ash. It isn't combustible like a tree branches or squirrels
roll.png
. Still, with enuf of it the power companies could have problems and those switch yards have other machinery that might break down.

Oh, and for some other highly significant advice: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said that you shouldn't be operating your home or car air conditioning systems up there while the ash is coming down.

I don't know why they didn't say anything about wool socks on toilet seats . . .

Steve

Back
Top Bottom