Alaska, are you getting ready for Mt. Redoubt eruption?

digitS' :

See, that's why you pull a pair of wool socks onto the seat in that little house out behind the shack.

I don't know why they didn't say anything about wool socks on toilet seats . . .

Steve

lol.png
I NEVER would have thought of doing that! LOL! Thanks for the tip! However, it's usually nothing, or a snowy log to sit on... I just have to watch for wild rosebushes (ouch!) and make note of the wind direction. LOL!

Guys have it SO easy.
hmm.png

digitS' :

See, that's why you pull a pair of wool socks onto the seat in that little house out behind the shack.

Electricity? I can't remember power failures being an issue with ash. It isn't combustible like a tree branches or squirrels
roll.png
. Still, with enuf of it the power companies could have problems and those switch yards have other machinery that might break down.

Oh, and for some other highly significant advice: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said that you shouldn't be operating your home or car air conditioning systems up there while the ash is coming down.

I don't know why they didn't say anything about wool socks on toilet seats . . .

Steve

I've never tried the wool socks, I have come out of the shack missing a sock though!
lau.gif
I have used a cut out from blue board insulation to sit on. And it helps to sit down with your long johns on for a minute to preheat the seat.

Ash by itself isn't that bad a problem for the electric company but if/when it gets wet it is an excellent conductor of electricity so it shorts stuff out.

Running the air conditioner shouldn't be a problem, never felt the need to own one up here.
tongue2.gif
it's currently -15 F. You want cold air just open the front door. My MIL gets a kick out of us setting stuff on the BBQ grill instead of putting it in the freezer.​

alaska ... how wonderful.. I almost moved there ...

do they still give you all a cash insentive to live up there?

ha ha ... seeing your post about the BBQ grill.. I think that is what we will do for dinner. LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
Its a great place to live once you get past the bears, 6 months of winter, mosquitoes the size of banty hens, and volcanoes blowing every couple of years.

it's not a cash incentive (but it helps) its more a form of profit sharing. Our state Constitution says the resources of our state belong to all residents. The state has leased out land for oil drilling and gets a portion of the profits from the sale of the oil. the money goes into a bank account and the value of the account is averaged over a 5 year period. Based on the average value of the account all eligible residents (every man woman and child) are given a dividend check every year.

We're still here.
smile.png
She's quieted down a lot, but if you look at the AVO webcam, there's a steam plume, and tiny earthquakes quite regularly. They're doing a fly-by today, so check the website in a few hours to see what they say.
smile.png
I'm just happy it's quiet... hope it doesn't mean it's building up to blow big time!!!
th.gif

I was just wqtching the explosion on Marserate, not spelled right, It was the heat outflow that caused so many deaths there. If you are behind a hill stay there. It said the heat rose from the outflow etc. Not a scientist for sure. Good luck with this stuff. Jean

Is that Cook Inlet pretty big?

Have they talked about Mt. Redoubt "bulging" outward?

Mt. St. Helens was growing at a rate of something like 5 or 6 feet a day before it erupted. When I finally understood this and that this bulging wasn't stopping over the course of days and weeks, I realized that we were in trouble.

Why anyone decided to go up on that mountain to observe the eruption, I never understood. They were not people in their right mind, or their left mind for that matter.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom