Alaska Chicken Lover's Soup for the Cold!!

Everyone prepared for winter? I need still to butcher meat sell off live chickens and add more roosts for my CH. And school is already started!
barnie.gif

I'm so far from ready. Just got the roof on the new coop (16x24). Now need to paint the walls, install the flooring, build the nest boxes, install the roosts. Hope to be done by Oct 1 and move the birds then, right now I have a little over 300 in the field. We'll move the breeders into the big house, then send the remainder to freezer camp.

Hey there Alaskan chicken lovers! I am from down in the balmy state of Minnesota. I had a customer here today with her mother, who lives in Anchorage. She was asking if I had any chickens to take back to Alaska for breeding. Her daughter explained it may not be a good idea, especially this time of year to do that. Anyway, I told them I would look up on BYC to see if there are any breeders near Anchorage that could help her out in getting some birds for her own flock.
If any of you are in her "neighborhood", why don't you send me a pm with some info I can pass to her if you think you will have some birds in the next few months to sell.
Thanks, and have a good day, dontcha know!

Hey there Alaskan chicken lovers! I am from down in the balmy state of Minnesota. I had a customer here today with her mother, who lives in Anchorage. She was asking if I had any chickens to take back to Alaska for breeding. Her daughter explained it may not be a good idea, especially this time of year to do that. Anyway, I told them I would look up on BYC to see if there are any breeders near Anchorage that could help her out in getting some birds for her own flock.
If any of you are in her "neighborhood", why don't you send me a pm with some info I can pass to her if you think you will have some birds in the next few months to sell.
Thanks, and have a good day, dontcha know!
Greetings, Sorry, I don't have many chickens, but did the customer want a specific breed?

No, she didn't happen to mention any specifics. I raise a few breeds, as you can see. They ladies were here buying up some culls, mostly Cochins and some Buckeye/Dark Cornish crosses I raised as part of a natural meaty strain in lieu of the CRX freaky birds. They are some very good birds it turns out, but my freezer is full and wanted to get the remaining ones out. Anyway, as they were taking my little roo-hunks out, she asked if I had any for her to take back. They are of Asian descent and they tend to like the single comb, Med breeds I have found in my dealings with several of their community in the Twin Cities who have been out. It is kind of funny, they want those ones that I would turn away for not having a good amount of meat on them. I would have set her up with a quad or trio if she had a reasonable way of getting them up there.
She will probably have to wait until Spring to get some now. I am down to just a few pullets left to get rid of and then I will be down to my winter breeding flock birds only. I am waiting to hear from the daughter with contact info to pass on.
Thanks for getting back to me, Brahma.

Hello Alaska peeps!

I want to do a hatch in March are there any local hatcheries that would have copper marans, EE, and Silver Laced Wyandottes?

I can't believe it took me this long to find this thread.

Back
Top Bottom