Alchemist Farm Unvaccinated Chicks

When NPIP was developed Mareks was common, but very,very mild did not kill or cripple birds. But it did cause problems in UK and US production farms that were growing in the 50s and 60s because production decreased when birds got it but eventually recovered

A vaccine was developed in 1970, but it was a leaky vaccine..so a once nonfatal disease has become virulent and deadly. https://www.healthline.com/health-n...072715#Preventing-More-Virulent-Virus-Strains
That sounds familiar….

It’s because there is a vaccine for Mareks, I don’t think there is one for avian flu.
It is, but I appreciate the correction. They made such a deal about avian flu, but don’t test for Mareks…either could wipe out a significant part of flocks. The way they handled the flu, one bird tested positive and they killed them all. Just seems odd

Two years ago Mareks ravaged my flock, the new birds. And, I had ordered chicks from alchemist that year, as well as another California breeder. All unvaccinated. So, I don’t know where I brought it in from, but I lost all but 2 of the alchemist birds and all of the other brood. I know the vaccine can be controversial in the chicken world, but I don’t dare bring in unvaccinated birds anymore because it was so devastating. I haven’t had a problem since. I did send off for necropsy and it was suspected mareks. In my mind, I didn’t really suspect alchemist because they don’t offer the vaccine…. I assumed they hadn’t had issues themselves. It’s hard to know
Marek’s travels on the wind for up to 5 miles. So you could have gotten it from a neighbor, or brought it back on your shoes and clothes after being out and about. Or wild birds brought it. It absolutely doesn’t mean that the new chicks were already infected at hatch. Marek’s is so easily transmitted it’s impossible to know.
But I am so sorry for your experience, that must have been devastating. I just lost one bird to this disease and that was plenty awful… It’s only vaccinated birds for me from here on out - which sucks, because I’d love to buy from the smaller local hatcheries and breeders.
How are your two surviving Alchemist birds doing now? And how many did you have to start with?

Marek’s travels on the wind for up to 5 miles. So you could have gotten it from a neighbor, or brought it back on your shoes and clothes after being out and about. Or wild birds brought it. It absolutely doesn’t mean that the new chicks were already infected at hatch. Marek’s is so easily transmitted it’s impossible to know.
But I am so sorry for your experience, that must have been devastating. I just lost one bit too this disease and that was plenty awful… It’s only vaccinated birds for me from here on out - which sucks, because I’d love to buy from the smaller local hatcheries and breeders.
How are your two surviving Alchemist birds doing now? And how many did you have to start with?
The feed stores in my area that also sell poultry have birds with Marek's.

Anyway… So far we don’t seem to have an above average survival rate of Alchemist birds exposed to Marek’s. I know that’s a sample of ehem, two… Hope to hear from others!

But I am so sorry for your experience, that must have been devastating. I just lost one bird to this disease and that was plenty awful… It’s only vaccinated birds for me from here on out - which sucks, because I’d love to buy from the smaller local hatcheries and breeders.
I purchased the surprise box of 10. She sent 11. Three ( I forgot about the marans who survived) survived and doing fine. All 6 of the other brood perished as well..from Papas poultry, all within 6-9 months. I sent for necropsy, discussed with my vet, we both felt one of the new broods brought it in. If a breeder knows they have it, if not taking extra precautions with the new hatchlings, they are going to send it out. I have several local chicken keeper friends who only purchase from hatcheries, farm stores, and they have never dealt with losses like this. I wasn’t cautious enough apparently. None of my older unvaccinated birds showed any symptoms although I realize they are now carriers and can develop the associated tumors. I’m wondering if your one loss was actually Marek’s now. From my experience and from what I’ve read chicks and pullets are extremely susceptible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom