Alchemist Farms-Surprise Box

HelloHealdsburg

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
Hi everyone,

The BYC forum has been fantastic for our family as we welcomed chickens for the first time at our home.

We have enjoyed watching the rapid growth and are now hoping for some assistance with breed type and roo/hen identification. Here are some photos of our six week old friends.

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    463.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6582.jpeg
    IMG_6582.jpeg
    631.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6574.jpeg
    IMG_6574.jpeg
    712.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6571.jpeg
    IMG_6571.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6561.jpeg
    IMG_6561.jpeg
    704.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6548.jpeg
    IMG_6548.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 20
Alchemist has some pure breeds and a bunch of Easter egger hybrids. I'll give guesses based on what they sell, but it can be difficult to distinguish pure breeds from those hybrids.

1 black copper Marans or Isbar

2 blue copper Marans or Isbar

3 Welsumer

4 the website said they always include a splash Marans in surprise box orders, so this could be it.

5 either double laced silver Barnevelder (no feathers on feet) or silver laced Cochin (feathered feet.)

Alchemist has some pure breeds and a bunch of Easter egger hybrids. I'll give guesses based on what they sell, but it can be difficult to distinguish pure breeds from those hybrids.

1 black copper Marans or Isbar

2 blue copper Marans or Isbar

3 Welsumer

4 the website said they always include a splash Marans in surprise box orders, so this could be it.

5 either double laced silver Barnevelder (no feathers on feet) or silver laced Cochin (feathered feet.)
I agree with Jed, however I believe 4 is their moss egger. Side note: big fan of alchemist farms. Enjoy!

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge…and for affirming the choice to use alchemist farms. We have thoroughly enjoyed this new journey.

Yes--we used alchemist and have been thrilled with the hens. #2 looks like an alchemist or an isbar. If there's a little faux-hawk on top, then my bet is an alchemist blue. Any updated photos? They looked like they were just about to start showing their gender. at about 8-10 weeks it should be fairly obvious.

Yes--we used alchemist and have been thrilled with the hens. #2 looks like an alchemist or an isbar. If there's a little faux-hawk on top, then my bet is an alchemist blue. Any updated photos? They looked like they were just about to start showing their gender. at about 8-10 weeks it should be fairly obvious.
Alchemist has been such a lovely experience-cannot say enough good things! I added a few updated Photos in the thread. Thank you in advance for shared chicken wisdom.

I agree with the others on breeds, but what kind of combs do the white and brown ones have? If the brown one has a single comb, she's a Welsummer, but it might be a pea comb, I can't tell for sure. The black laced one is a silver double laced Barnevelder, they are gorgeous when they grow up! And all look like pullets to me. :)

Back
Top Bottom