Alfalfa Cubes for Chickens? UPDATE

serendipity22

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
NC
With winter here, so goes the vegetation. Has anyone ever tried soaking Alfalfa cubes in warm water and feeding them to your flock? It seems like an easy fix (and relatively inexpensive)for adding more greens to their diet.

Once fully soaked, they swell and break into small pieces. With the added water and protein, this could only be a good thing, right?

Last edited:
My chickens like them too. I buy them for the rabbits.

Recently we bought a bag of "fresh mixed greens" from the grocery store, just for the birds and rabbits.

The rabbits threw the "greens" out of their cages, and the hens and geese wouldn't even touch them.

All of them, however, find great delight in my garden produce.

I was thinking about putting rabbit food pellets out for the hens/geese this winter, along with their food. I too would like to know what others are doing to provide "green stuff" for their flocks in the winter.

BethinIrving,
I supply mine with lots of damaged leaves from collards. (A friend of mine sells collards, so we just go through and fill up a feed bag at a time)

It sure is hard keeping fresh stuff supplied to them all winter though...

Quote:
Are ya'll referring to Alfalfa hay and break it up ? wher e do you buy it , I am thinking feedstore ?

I'm not interested in buying a bale of alfalfa. (It would be strewn everywhere!) I just want to feed the Alfalfa Cubes...

Quote:
Are ya'll referring to Alfalfa hay and break it up ? wher e do you buy it , I am thinking feedstore ?

I'm not interested in buying a bale of alfalfa. (It would be strewn everywhere!) I just want to feed the Alfalfa Cubes...

Where do you buy the cubes . Also not interested in buying a bale

Back
Top Bottom