1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Alfalfa for poultry

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MsPoultry, Aug 11, 2014.

1. MsPoultry

MsPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    I don't know if a lot of people feed alfalfa to their poultry but mine really love it the geese didn't like it right away but,now they do ,the ducks instantly were happy with the treat along with the chickens & turkeys.They mostly strip the stems of their leaves.I give a flake once or maybe twice a week.If you have any comments i'd love to here some! [​IMG]

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I offer a small flake of alfalfa to my chickens in the cooler months, and like yours they will eat the leaves from it. It is good for them and I enjoy offering a wide variety of feeds for my birds. I always clean up the stems after a day or so, I find that if alfalfa gets wet, it tends to mold where straw or shavings etc. does not.

I don't think a lot of folks do offer it here, but I just suppose it because most do not have access to bales of hay. I have offered alfalfa pellets with mixed success as well. I keep trying anyway…

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The game bird feed that I use has dehydrated alfalfa meal in it so I don't feed it as much as I did before I switched feeds.
    Alfalfa offers a good bit of vitamins, minerals and some proteins.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I reserve its use for confined birds in winter when green forages not obtained free-choice. Ideally transition to intake of course fibrous material (hay) gradual with ample grit in diet. Rapid increase in the intake may promote crop impaction issues as that has been the only time I have seen such problems. Clover hays also suitable for same purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by