Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Queens, NY
I was thinking to cover the floor of my quail and dove aviary with alfalfa hay,
hmm.png
would this be a good idea?

Quote:
yeah that could be a problem, when it does rain hard it might wet the hay but otherwise it should be fine. Does alfalfa have a farm like smell by any chance?

Quote:
Wow, i didnt know that poultry and quails actually eat it, i thought it was just for bedding.
I guess their similar to rabbits who find it tasty.
I bet those egg yolks were a nice deep orange instead of the pale yellow yolks you find from the store.

alfalfa (fresh dried) smells really good, basically like normal fresh hay but sweeter IMO.
smile.png
I love the smell of hay and horses though
tongue.png
Helping bale it as a kid you kind of get to love it (or really hate it i guess haha).

Yep they'll eat it and bed in it
smile.png
They'll probably only eat it fresh while it's first layed down, and they'll more than likely also dust and burrow in it..they may lose their eggs in it so if you are collecting eggs you may have to dig for them
tongue.png

Alfalfa is high in calcium if i remember rightly
smile.png
Protien too? Oh well i know it's good whatever it is lol

Quote:
Yeah, i love the smell of hay too!!, i actually grew a little barley this spring and turned that into hay that i'm saving. But i will give the alfalfa a try.

Thanks you guys for your help!!!
wink.png
wink.png

Monarc23 come over to Ohio, we are putting up about 1200 bales this year. We have around 300 we are putting up on Wedsenday. Extra hands are always welcome.

Back
Top Bottom