alfalfa hay?

jdoane

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Western Massachusetts
Does anyone have any info on alfalfa hay? I was ghink of using some sort of hay to scatter on the snow to prktect my ladies' feet. But sould also love it if it had some nutritional value as they pic through it. Is it ok for them to eat? Does hay cause crop problems?

I have a huge bale of alfalfa hay that I will be using all winter for the ladies, as bedding in the run, and entertainment. I also read somewhere that decades ago in early 20th century alfalfa was given to chickens in winter to improve egg laying. I don't know the truth of that, but did use alfalfa last winter and the girls did lay all winter, but will not say it was due to the alfalfa. If nothing else they do enjoy picking through it. Lots of goodies in there.

My chickens adore alfalfa when I provide it for them. It is just fine as a feed, especially good in winter when the birds don't have access to fresh grass.

I just throw them a "flake" or two at a time, they scratch it all apart and eat all the good leaves, eventually all that's left is the stems which I toss on the mulch pile.

Go for it!

Back
Top Bottom