Algae in my automatic waterer

Raymond Dean White

Songster
5 Years
Aug 5, 2017
I built an automatic waterer out of a food grade plastic bucket hooked up to a garden hose with a swamp cooler float valve controlling the flow. It has worked well for four months now in the extreme heat of our AZ summers (it's still in the 90's here and it's October 7). The water from the bucket flows by gravity feed through 1/2" black irrigation hose to a 1/2" PVC pipe fitted with 3 watering cups. But just yesterday I had to empty the 5-gallon bucket and clean it out as it had a lot of algae in it.

Any ideas on how I can keep algae from growing it my watering bucket? ACV? A few drops of unscented, no dye bleach?

I'm considering installing a filter between the bucket and the watering cups, but haven't done so yet.

I built an automatic waterer out of a food grade plastic bucket hooked up to a garden hose with a swamp cooler float valve controlling the flow. It has worked well for four months now in the extreme heat of our AZ summers (it's still in the 90's here and it's October 7). The water from the bucket flows by gravity feed through 1/2" black irrigation hose to a 1/2" PVC pipe fitted with 3 watering cups. But just yesterday I had to empty the 5-gallon bucket and clean it out as it had a lot of algae in it.

Any ideas on how I can keep algae from growing it my watering bucket? ACV? A few drops of unscented, no dye bleach?

I'm considering installing a filter between the bucket and the watering cups, but haven't done so yet.
First, I would say that a black water hose is probably not a good idea cuz you can’t see thru it. I always used clear 1/2” type I’ve make/ refrigerator type hosing and fitted it with the appropriate fittings. I purchased a lot of it at Lowes for mine. I also used to live in AZ & you must remember that it is HOT! Heat, water & even humidity causes mold & mildew etc... I live in Alabama now so I know all about that 🤣. We put raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the bucket that the water is flowing from & keep your equipment cleaned every so often by detaching clear hose & soaking in vinegar & water & also clean the watering cups, Also, try to find a way to clean the pvc the best you can since your set up might be slightly different than mine was. To find the amount of Raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar to add to the bucket can be found by searching the web/google- The hatchery, urban chickens etc...
Good luck

First, I would say that a black water hose is probably not a good idea cuz you can’t see thru it. I always used clear 1/2” type I’ve make/ refrigerator type hosing and fitted it with the appropriate fittings. I purchased a lot of it at Lowes for mine. I also used to live in AZ & you must remember that it is HOT! Heat, water & even humidity causes mold & mildew etc... I live in Alabama now so I know all about that 🤣. We put raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar in the bucket that the water is flowing from & keep your equipment cleaned every so often by detaching clear hose & soaking in vinegar & water & also clean the watering cups, Also, try to find a way to clean the pvc the best you can since your set up might be slightly different than mine was. To find the amount of Raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar to add to the bucket can be found by searching the web/google- The hatchery, urban chickens etc...
Good luck

Thank you for the information. I'll try the ACV.

Just curious why the white color seems to have more algae?

When you find out how to prevent that Green algae, please do share!!
I ALSO have this problem in every single waterer I have.
I have 2 automatic waterers, about 4 gravity fed waterer, and those DIY 5 gallon bucket waterer.
ACV has not prevented it growing, possibly slowing it down, however not prevented it.

Back
Top Bottom