Pics

Ali James

Songster
Jul 14, 2019
Essex, United Kingdom
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning everyone!

I am Ali, I'm 30-something and I live in the south east of the UK with my wonderful husband and our six year old son. We in turn are owned by two cats.

As I write this I can still say that I have never kept chickens before. That is about to change as in less than two days we will be collecting four hybrid hens from a local, independent farm shop. We are so excited!

Our son ('F'), like virtually all children, has been making noises about wanting a pet. We do not have the space inside our home for a cage or tank to go, our two cats (which don't seem to count as pets for some reason :hmm) are very proficient hunters so having something small and furry was never going to happen. We do have garden space so an outside pet was more plausible. And a useful pet, even more so. F's school have chickens and he loves them and so we thought, why not?

For weeks and weeks and have been reading and researching, hours and hours have been sucked into youtube and BYC! I finally feel ready. But, there will be so much I do not know, and inevitably situations will crop up that I couldn't really prepare for. So I would love it if you would join me on my thread to help me out with your experience and knowledge!

P.S. I love photos and videos; be warned, there will be lots of each!

Last edited:
Ali, can I point out a couple of things because I have a small prefab coop as well as my big coop? Firstly I would screw those roosts in. When the chooks are jostling for roosting space they often knock these roosts out & then everyone gets to sleep on the mucky floor. Secondly those trays are a pain. Once you have a pile of litter & droppings they actually won't slide out & everything jams up so you have to clean it before you can take it out. Thirdly check your ventilation with someone who knows more than I do. I see some but am not sure it's enough.

I love how it opens all round like that so everywhere is accessible. I think 4 standard hens would be the max it will hold & I love the stain. Looking good! :)

And I'm so pleased you've started this thread. Looking forward to meeting your girls.

Hello and welcome @Ali James I only just joined yesterday and am loving reading through everyone's posts. We collected our 5 chickens on the Sunday just gone and all I can say is I wish I had gotten Chickens so much sooner. I absolutely love having them.

You say you are getting hybrid hens. What are they? Will you have any colorful egg layers? I can't wait to see photos of your new girls.

We got the Devon Coop and Run from the same company as you and our 5 are loving it and have plenty of space inside. They run free around our garden for most of the day too.

Oh, I'm in the UK too by the way :) in Somerset.

Ali, can I point out a couple of things because I have a small prefab coop as well as my big coop? Firstly I would screw those roosts in. When the chooks are jostling for roosting space they often knock these roosts out & then everyone gets to sleep on the mucky floor. Secondly those trays are a pain. Once you have a pile of litter & droppings they actually won't slide out & everything jams up so you have to clean it before you can take it out. Thirdly check your ventilation with someone who knows more than I do. I see some but am not sure it's enough.

I love how it opens all round like that so everywhere is accessible. I think 4 standard hens would be the max it will hold & I love the stain. Looking good! :)

And I'm so pleased you've started this thread. Looking forward to meeting your girls.
Thanks Ribh, for joining my thread and for the feedback. I will see about securing the roosts too.

As for the tray, I will just have to see how it works out.

Hello and welcome @Ali James I only just joined yesterday and am loving reading through everyone's posts. We collected our 5 chickens on the Sunday just gone and all I can say is I wish I had gotten Chickens so much sooner. I absolutely love having them.

You say you are getting hybrid hens. What are they? Will you have any colorful egg layers? I can't wait to see photos of your new girls.

We got the Devon Coop and Run from the same company as you and our 5 are loving it and have plenty of space inside. They run free around our garden for most of the day too.

Oh, I'm in the UK too by the way :) in Somerset.
Hi there! So happy to have found another newbie Brit!!

I will be posting photos and details of the girls on Saturday once they are in situ

Back
Top Bottom