Jetblack2004

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 22, 2016
South East England
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

We had a broody hen which hatched out 3 pretty little chicks around 2 weeks ago. 1 week ago one of them died very randomly. When I found it it was doing an odd gaping thing and then it sadly died. I then noticed that the chicks hadn’t really grown like they should of. They were particularly small for their age.

Then 2 days ago I found another of the chicks on the ground, gaping and appearing to be taking its last breaths. It also died.

Then today I found the third chick in the nest box, legs straight up in the air and lifeless.

I’m concerned as to how they died and am hoping someone has an idea of what was wrong with them. We’ve never had this happen before.

Thank you,
Jet.

Was the hen given table scraps to eat over these last couple weeks she's had the chicks? If yes, was she able to access grit? If yes, was the grit small enough to be suitable for baby chicks?

One of the most common reasons for baby chicks dying in the first month is impacted crop and constipation from eating foods other than just chick crumbles and not getting grit to digest it. Also, not drinking enough water can contribute to this.

It's tragic losing all your babies. I'm so sorry and sad.

Back
Top Bottom