All 4-H'ers...6yr old wants to get into horses, how to do it????

When shopping for a lesson program, it's really important to look at safety practices around the barn -- including less-obvious things, like are the fences and stalls and gates in good repair (they do NOT have to be fancy, but they need to be SOUND), and are the kids well-supervised 100% of the time.

Then you want to look at how good the instructor is with kids -- does he or she seem to 'get' kids, you know? It can be rather tricky to instill good riding practices in a 6 yr old without somebody getting frustrated or bored , but it's really important to find someone who's good at it. Excessive yelling is bad; just telling the kids what NOT to do (rather than helping them learn what TO do, and how) is bad; sitting there chatting with parents, boarders or barn help while the kids trudge round and round and round and round is not actually bad but not necessarily optimal either.

I'd say those are the two biggies. Also be aware that some places are very show-oriented, or very closed-minded about other types of riding; probably the best place for a kid to start out riding is a low-key barn that at most does just a little 'fun' showing and even if they only teach one discipline at least doesn't have a chip on their shoulder about the others.

Good luck,

Pat

Quote:
That is not the case here in NY. We are serious in 4-H and don't have the land. Have the horse and we board it. She however does clean stalls once a week at the facility. During the shows you board your horse and are judged on the management side of it ( clean stalls, water, etc. ).

Your friends daughter is only 6 so she has a while before she gets into the big stuff. Her best bet is to find a barn with a lesson program if she hasn't started riding. Then if she's into it, get involved in a 4-H club. They are run by the county and there is a website to locate one for you. She will be a cloverbud till she's at least 8 I think.

It's not too early to start. I know a lot of parents who have started off the kids later and then they become afraid. These are not kittens and can push you around. A good barn will pair her up with a been there done that horse but it's still a big animal and the earlier she gets around them the better. Plus I also think the likelyhood of her sticking with it in the long run is greater. It eventually costs a good chunk of change if you get "into it", but at least I know where my daughter is on a Friday night. Usually on the back of her horse
smile.png

Quote:
That is not the case here in NY. We are serious in 4-H and don't have the land. Have the horse and we board it. She however does clean stalls once a week at the facility. During the shows you board your horse and are judged on the management side of it ( clean stalls, water, etc. ).

Your friends daughter is only 6 so she has a while before she gets into the big stuff. Her best bet is to find a barn with a lesson program if she hasn't started riding. Then if she's into it, get involved in a 4-H club. They are run by the county and there is a website to locate one for you. She will be a cloverbud till she's at least 8 I think.

It's not too early to start. I know a lot of parents who have started off the kids later and then they become afraid. These are not kittens and can push you around. A good barn will pair her up with a been there done that horse but it's still a big animal and the earlier she gets around them the better. Plus I also think the likelyhood of her sticking with it in the long run is greater. It eventually costs a good chunk of change if you get "into it", but at least I know where my daughter is on a Friday night. Usually on the back of her horse
smile.png

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Do NOT purchase a horse- do NOT purchase a horse. The biggest mistake you can make right now would be that one.

Find a GOOD trainer, someone who has a lot of experience and is safe, with good lesson horses who are well-cared for.

Once your kid is riding the pants off of every lesson horse and any other horses she can scrounge up to ride (that are within her skill level, obviously), then consider a lease or purchase.

That will be several years from now if she's 6- she needs to build a lot of muscle coordination and with her being so small that will take a while. I got my first horse just after my 9th birthday. Still have her 9 years later and at 20 is as young as ever.

Horses are not a small investment... and ponies/smaller breeds of horses frequently live to their late 20s (my 20 y/o's half sister was carting little kids around on trails til she was 34 and died peacefully at 36).

ive been around horses all my life. ive done FFA, 4-h and all that good stuff. i give lessons at a local stable, and trust me, we have only had ONE KID stay riding through the age of 6. they think horses will be all fun and easy. they expect to be able to ride big macho stud horses after their second day. they have NO idea how hard horse back riding is. i reccomend leting her take a lesson or two(once shes 7 or 8), then make her promise one month of riding. tell her she cannot back out!(though they usually do)

as for 4-h: 6 is too young. i hated 4-h as a kid. if you want, join a local pony club or a gymkhana
i loved gymkhana as a kid :]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymkhana_(Equestrian)

best of luck
moe

WOW I can't believe you guys were allowed to show 4-H and board your horses, how unfair for full care is that one? Our kids keep daily feed and care records. How can you do that if you don't even feed and care for them daily?

My daughter knows exactly what her horse gets at our boarding facility and has fed him, cleaned, etc. She's even beginning to give certain shots and she's just 13. She knows the ropes and what to do if she had to do it all on her own. Just because they are at the facility doesn't mean she doesn't know what is going on. The records are all checked, etc.
It's a shame that any group would only let you in unless you had the horse on your property. That's not reality anymore.

If she wants to do horses, you'd be better off finding a Pony Club. That's what I was in when I was younger and they don't just teach you how to ride, you learn all about the health and maintanence and about food, as well as learning to ride. Although they do English, not sure what type of riding you want to do.

USPC

She's not too young to ride, if you find the right, knowledgeable group who works with young kids. 4H groups are great because they revolve around learning "about" horses and not just how to "ride" horses.

I agree she does not need to BUY a horse, at least not yet. They are a serious money pit, believe me I know. The least expensive part of owning a horse is buying it. You are talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars each year. Lessons are expensive enough, but are much safer and controled by experienced people. Put her into the 4H program or into a local horse riding lessons.

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom