All About Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Chickeneer, Mar 6, 2012.

1. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I was just wondering how other people deal with eggs for different things, just some good tips is enough, you don't have to answer every question lol.

Soooo......
    What is your preferred way of storing incubating eggs?~ I like to store mine in a box, in a dark cool closet somewhere....up to 14 days

How do you use up eggs if you get more than enough to eat?~ I havent had this problem.....got many relatives and neighbors to give dozens to.....but I hear some people make up good recepies or even use them as dog food lol

Do you have a separate egg fridge?~ I know lots of people here on BYC do...they get way to many eggs to fit in the fridge with their other food. I think I might get a mini fridge, some of my pullets are have started laying, but once every one starts......I'm gona need a separate fridge

How do you ship/pack them?~Whenever I order them, The individually bubble wrapped ones usually have better hatch rates....I only buy, i don't ship (potential customer here guys [​IMG]), just wondering what methods you people use out there .......

What eggs do you single out as the best for hatching?~ Of course, like most people, I only use the good shaped right color eggs, and consider others not as good like the long pointy eggs, poopy eggs, or the off color ones, cracked etc. I usually keep the porous ones though, they hatch just fine for me.

Any other interesting things or methods you guys use to deal with eggs? Thanks for any information [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    We store our eggs to be held for hatching in a wine cooler set at 55 degrees. We leave them in a carton and prop them up at a slant to the left or right, switching position three times a day. It seems to work very well in keeping the eggs for extended periods between our set dates.

We actually had 100% fertility and 100% hatch rate on our last hatch of Black Copper Marans. Our other breeds did very good on fertility and hatch rate, but not 100%. These eggs were kept 12 days.

3. The Chickeneer

Wow 100% hatch and fertitlity! How many roosters do you have per hen.....?

4. The Chickeneer

Oh, and does anyone know about incubating/hatching double yokers?

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Your odds of them hatching are extremely poor, even when you help. Both chicks can and often will develop, but they can't both position themselves for hatch and can injure each other trying to position themselves. They don't always develop at exactly the same rate so one may try to hatch before the other is ready. There are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Is it possible to hatch them? People have done it. Is it likely they will hatch? Not really, but it is possible.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its been done but the odds are against it. I'd eat it.

7. The Chickeneer

But how do you tell before you put it in the 'bator so you could eat it?

8. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Candle it. My boyfriend and I were researching candling eggs and grabbed an unfertilized egg out of the fridge (commercial egg, my girls won't start producing for another month and a half) and attacked it with the MagLite. We could see through the egg enough to see the single yolk that was in there. Made for an interesting dinner conversation.

9. The Chickeneer

I heard the world record for yolks in an chicken egg was 9! Imagine being able to hatch all those lol [​IMG]

10. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Wow, 9 yolks in a single egg, i'd love to see that one... and the poor hen that laid it must still be recovering... jeez. These are all great answers. how long can an egg be viable at regular daytime tempratures about 80* with nights to 50*? and i heard below 50* pretty much does them in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by