All about garden herbs

Pics
Sage- use it on meat and in soup, mainly.

Chives- I use it in salads, on baked potatoes etc.

Chinese or Garlic chives- same uses.

Rosemary- good on chicken.

Lavender- I don't really use this one! It smells nice and attracts pollinators.

Winter savory- it's called bean herb and that's what I use it for.

Basil- Pesto!

Oregano- Tomato sauce.

Lovage- in salads.

Dill- lots of uses. Fish, potato soup, etc.

Tarragon - also good on fish, poultry.

Italian parsley- great in a lot of recipes!

Thyme- great in a lot of recipes.

I have other herbs that I don't really use for anything other than attracting bees. Feverfew, borage, southernwood, bronze fennel, Calendula, hyssop, and more. Some day I would like to grow the kind of Chamomile used to make tea. I love it but it is expensive!

Basil does not like cold. I believe you are supposed to bring it indoors if you keep it through winter.

I took cuttings from mine to propagate. Supposedly seeding produces different plants from the parent, I think. I may be remembering a different herb...
I took cuttings of one of mine as well to root and grow indoors through winter as I LUV using basil in so many things!

Are you bringing them in from the outside? That will generally bring in gnats.

If you've eliminated gnats and then start them in "potting soil" (which is sterile), then you shouldn't have a problem.

I start them in potting soil and they are inside the whole time, never been outside

Ginseng grows wild around here and I know a lot of people go looking for it (especially Meth heads) but I don't have the slightest clue what it looks like or how to find it so..... :confused:
omgosh. research what it looks like and go get you some! I'm going to try growing it in my new to me forest. Go. Get. Some. Or tell me where you live and I'LL come get some.

welllll. I had an herbal skin care business for 29 years. Haven't done any of it since 2019 when I closed the biz. I have moved from the west to the east, zone 7, middle of virginia.
It's taking me time to acclimate to zone 7 from zone 11, Phoenix. I had a smokin garden in phx, struggling now to figure out this dirt, climate. I should have a better handle on it next year.

this year I grew/is growing:
Lemongrass, distill for eo, put in cold process soap. use in tea, 1 gram makes ..well, go read it: https://www.israel21c.org/fresh-lemon-grass-fields-in-israel-become-mecca-for-cancer-patients/
it's good as a sleep inducing aid, calming.

Lemon verbena, omgosh it smells divine and lasts for YEARS. tea to relax, stomach cramps, calming, relieves stress, also as flower essence. Seasoning, salads, ice cream.

Lemon balm, tea, flower essence for dog as he's afraid of loud noises, it helps calm him down. Sleep inducing, calming, ani-viral. anti-gas. relaxant.

Echinacea - just cause I always grow it, but here, plants get mold on them. all plants. it's basically the amazon rainforest/jungle here. it did and I pulled it. Already have a flower essence from it from Idaho.

basil for pesto, dry for my seasoning jar cause I want fresh stuff. Good for skeeter bites, I like the smell.

Holy basil - excellent for calming for ptsd, sleep inducing, relaxing. the smell is awesome. eat one leaf a day and boost your immune system.

choc mint for hydrosol distilling. the best cold tea around. also make it into hot tea and let cool.

sage, great as tea for headaches, good for seasoning. good support for memory, gas, stomach bloat/pain.

rosemary, MEMORY, helps to focus, good for concentration. great seasoning. had tunisian rosemary in phoenix, can't find it anywhere out here. it has less camphor in it.

oregano, seasoning, exc to just smell to help immune system.

had parsley for the smell, but pulled it cause i don't use it. made the flower essence already.

lemon thyme, great for headaches, sinus issues, in scrambled eggs, in tea. smells divine.

we had a forester come out and he said the forest is the healthiest one he's seen in a long time. said we have pawpaw and sassafras, but I wasn't there, so I don't know which ones they are. there's sumac berries, that I didn't get cause i didn't know when to get them. Just picked striped wintergreen with the berries yesterday.

Might try neem tree, moringa, they'll die at first cold.
Will try to plant loofah, green beans, tomatos. tried tomatoes this year and they were miserable.
HOPS I wanna plant hops. good for so many things.
And plant or find cramp bark.

I HAVE to find comfrey plant that isn't $20 for a 2 inch plant. SOMEONE MUST have some growing around here.

I've got a ton of bulbs to plant, as soon as Ian's gone, the ground will be super soft and I'll plant them then.

mint anything will help tremendously for stomach aches. mint and chamomile tea for inducing sleepiness.

oh and plantain, will take itching and inflammation away in minutes.

oh and mimosa tree, aka silk persian tree. bark infused in oil for pain, WORKS, tincture I can't remember for what, and tea from the flowers for happiness. tea from bark for I can't remember, but you can look it up. I made flower essence, [brings joy, helps with depression], tincture and oil.

Sunday update: I forgot to add chives and lavender. lavender doesn't grow well in midddle virginia.
Also, how could I forget my baby? Spilanthes. antimicrobial which includes anti-fungal, anti-bacterial [see links and definitions below], anesthetic, will numb your mouth like WOW. creates saliva, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory. boosts immunity.
excellent to have on hand for emergencies.
Lastly, takes the depth out of deep lines on the face.

good link for definitions https://ruscioinstitute.com/antimicrobial-vs-antibacterial/
https://goldshieldbrands.com/blog/antibacterial-vs-antimicrobial-understanding-the-difference/
the primary difference between antibacterial and antimicrobial substances is the types of microorganisms they act upon. Antibacterial technologies are effective against a broad spectrum of harmful bacteria and they will typically incorporate several active ingredients, allowing for successful application in a wide variety of product types. Antimicrobial technologies actually minimize the presence of bacteria, mold, and fungi. In contrast to antibacterial agents, antimicrobial substances offer a greater level of product protection by continuously inhibiting the growth of microbes on surfaces for very long periods of time.
from here: https://www.armacell.us/en/blog/post/difference-between-antibacterial-and-antimicrobial/
{ I will be going back to that site to see what they have]
and check out what it does for root canal infections. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26672426/

Last edited:
omgosh. research what it looks like and go get you some! I'm going to try growing it in my new to me forest. Go. Get. Some. Or tell me where you live and I'LL come get some.
What do you do with it? I have never used it before. I've seen it in soda drinks, etc but I don't drink stuff like that so I've never had it

welllll. I had an herbal skin care business for 29 years. Haven't done any of it since 2019 when I closed the biz. I have moved from the west to the east, zone 7, middle of virginia.
It's taking me time to acclimate to zone 7 from zone 11, Phoenix. I had a smokin garden in phx, struggling now to figure out this dirt, climate. I should have a better handle on it next year.

this year I grew/is growing:
Lemongrass, distill for eo, put in cold process soap. use in tea, 1 gram makes ..well, go read it: https://www.israel21c.org/fresh-lemon-grass-fields-in-israel-become-mecca-for-cancer-patients/
it's good as a sleep inducing aid, calming.

Lemon verbena, omgosh it smells divine and lasts for YEARS. tea to relax, stomach cramps, calming, relieves stress, also as flower essence. Seasoning, salads, ice cream.

Lemon balm, tea, flower essence for dog as he's afraid of loud noises, it helps calm him down. Sleep inducing, calming, ani-viral. anti-gas. relaxant.

Echinacea - just cause I always grow it, but here, plants get mold on them. all plants. it's basically the amazon rainforest/jungle here. it did and I pulled it. Already have a flower essence from it from Idaho.

basil for pesto, dry for my seasoning jar cause I want fresh stuff. Good for skeeter bites, I like the smell.

Holy basil - excellent for calming for ptsd, sleep inducing, relaxing. the smell is awesome. eat one leaf a day and boost your immune system.

choc mint for hydrosol distilling. the best cold tea around. also make it into hot tea and let cool.

sage, great as tea for headaches, good for seasoning. good support for memory, gas, stomach bloat/pain.

rosemary, MEMORY, helps to focus, good for concentration. great seasoning. had tunisian rosemary in phoenix, can't find it anywhere out here. it has less camphor in it.

oregano, seasoning, exc to just smell to help immune system.

had parsley for the smell, but pulled it cause i don't use it. made the flower essence already.

lemon thyme, great for headaches, sinus issues, in scrambled eggs, in tea. smells divine.

we had a forester come out and he said the forest is the healthiest one he's seen in a long time. said we have pawpaw and sassafras, but I wasn't there, so I don't know which ones they are. there's sumac berries, that I didn't get cause i didn't know when to get them. Just picked striped wintergreen with the berries yesterday.

Might try neem tree, moringa, they'll die at first cold.
Will try to plant loofah, green beans, tomatos. tried tomatoes this year and they were miserable.
HOPS I wanna plant hops. good for so many things.
And plant or find cramp bark.

I HAVE to find comfrey plant that isn't $20 for a 2 inch plant. SOMEONE MUST have some growing around here.

I've got a ton of bulbs to plant, as soon as Ian's gone, the ground will be super soft and I'll plant them then.

mint anything will help tremendously for stomach aches. mint and chamomile tea for inducing sleepiness.

oh and plantain, will take itching and inflammation away in minutes.

oh and mimosa tree, aka silk persian tree. bark infused in oil for pain, WORKS, tincture I can't remember for what, and tea from the flowers for happiness. tea from bark for I can't remember, but you can look it up. I made flower essence, [brings joy, helps with depression], tincture and oil.
I'm trying to learn how to make my own essential oils... This was supposed to be my first attempt this week but the Chinese took a pot shot at my operation... 😂 I ordered a home distiller and all the instructions were in Chinese. Sent it back....

Back
Top Bottom