All about raising chicks and chickens! Also ask questions!

I began brooding my new chicks outdoors right after Blooie, using the heating pad system that she introduced to BYC. The advantages over indoor brooding are numerous and significant. I also wrote an article about this topic, because Blooie kept nagging me, and I described in detail why outdoor brooding is so beneficial to baby chicks over indoor-under-a-heat-lamp brooding, but I'm not reticent about promoting it. The link to the article is below in my signature line.

I brood and raise my chicks on sand bedding so supplying grit isn't necessary. I also dispense with the chick starter. I feed my flock an all flock feed instead of layer, and it's almost identical in ingredients to chick starter, with all the same vitamins and minerals and just a tad more protein than starter. It really simplifies things, believe me.

Original poster are you going to fix post number one. it's ridiculous .now I spent over an hour correcting the awful Post in the first thread you started and you just stopped that thread and started this one .now you need to fix the bad information in post number one so that when people read this thread they don't get off to bad start . thank you,
Karen
In case you haven't figured it out number two number three and number 5 are incorrect in your original post I suggest you go find out what the real facts are.

Any more questions?
On what basis do you consider yourself to be an oracle of this topic? With around 350,000 members, many of whom have been raising chickens for decades, the collective knowledge is way beyond that of any individual. The BYC format of providing forums for members to ask questions and receive input is deliberate. It renders a thread such as this irrelevant.

I have a bunch of questions. Please bear with me. We just had a baby chick hatch and we don't know how it happened! OK, stop snickering, I do know biology 101. Now I know why my rooster has been in such a good mood lately!

Basically, we are unprepared. Here's what we do know:

The run is 3000 sq ft with 9 birds total (plus at least one chick)

The run is fenced in with 2X4 wire. Also called welded wire fencing. Will the chicks escape?

The coop sits 3 feet off the ground and has a ramp. Can chicks make it in/out?

The weather is forecast to be in the 80s during the day and 68+ at night. Is that warm enough since they are snuggling to moma?

We have 3 broody hens. Will they fight over chicks?

Will they abuse other mothers' chicks?

What else do I need to know and what should I do?

I feel like I'm having my first baby! Holy shoot!

Desperately yours;
-John

On what basis do you consider yourself to be an oracle of this topic? With around 350,000 members, many of whom have been raising chickens for decades, the collective knowledge is way beyond that of any individual. The BYC format of providing forums for members to ask questions and receive input is deliberate. It renders a thread such as this irrelevant.
Would you like to answer this question?

Original poster are you going to fix post number one. it's ridiculous .now I spent over an hour correcting the awful Post in the first thread you started and you just stopped that thread and started this one .now you need to fix the bad information in post number one so that when people read this thread they don't get off to bad start . thank you,
Karen
In case you haven't figured it out number two number three and number 5 are incorrect in your original post I suggest you go find out what the real facts are.
Would you like to answer this question?
I have a bunch of questions. Please bear with me. We just had a baby chick hatch and we don't know how it happened! OK, stop snickering, I do know biology 101. Now I know why my rooster has been in such a good mood lately!

Basically, we are unprepared. Here's what we do know:

The run is 3000 sq ft with 9 birds total (plus at least one chick)

The run is fenced in with 2X4 wire. Also called welded wire fencing. Will the chicks escape?

The coop sits 3 feet off the ground and has a ramp. Can chicks make it in/out?

The weather is forecast to be in the 80s during the day and 68+ at night. Is that warm enough since they are snuggling to moma?

We have 3 broody hens. Will they fight over chicks?

Will they abuse other mothers' chicks?

What else do I need to know and what should I do?

I feel like I'm having my first baby! Holy shoot!

Desperately yours;
-John

Hello, looking for some help. I am very new to raising hens. I have made it to the point that they are in their coop and all have survived so far! Shew! They have been in there for about 4 weeks. My next question is how long do they stay in the coop until I can start letting them out to roam around a little?

Back
Top Bottom