All Babies Dying 😭

This is my oldest survivor. Her bum feathers are growing back in some places, poor thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20200809_001611856.jpg
    IMG_20200809_001611856.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200809_001638400.jpg
    IMG_20200809_001638400.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 11
I always give water from my water purifier just in case the tap water isn’t good for them. Then I clean out the water bottle really well every week
The water bottle needs to be cleaned and refilled freshly at least once every day, as the germs/bacteria will thrive in the heat emanating from the heat lamp, with the chicks poo and all the dust getting in.

And using a water purifier the filter has to be changed very often for it not to be the source of bacterial and/or fungal contamination.

Sorry I haven't been back on in so long. Getting ready for virtual school to start, etc.
So what I've gathered from my research, it was some sort of fungal infection. The two surviving chicks from the original group are still quite small and have no feathers around their eyes or bums. I sanitized waters, feeders, and tubs and also moved them to an unairconditioned room because they were staying colder than I liked. Here are the brooders. The white light is the new hatchlings and the red light is the survivers and older babies. Just cleaned out the bedding and left the thermometer outside so will have to get a reading tomorrow.
Two things I would change:

1) Change the redlight bulb to dark radiator to give them some rest and the opportunity to adapt to a normal circadian rhythm. Redlight is ok for the first week, but then should be changed to allow for deep sleep which is significant for healthy development as some important hormones will only be released during slow-wave sleep phase.

2) Get them all a much bigger brooder so they will be able to choose warmer or cooler areas according to their preferences.

Wishing you all the best and better luck this time!

Two things I would change:

1) Change the redlight bulb to dark radiator to give them some rest and the opportunity to adapt to a normal circadian rhythm. Redlight is ok for the first week, but then should be changed to allow for deep sleep which is significant for healthy development as some important hormones will only be released during slow-wave sleep phase.

2) Get them all a much bigger brooder so they will be able to choose warmer or cooler areas according to their preferences.

Wishing you all the best and better luck this time!
What is a dark radiator?

The water bottle needs to be cleaned and refilled freshly at least once every day, as the germs/bacteria will thrive in the heat emanating from the heat lamp, with the chicks poo and all the dust getting in.

And using a water purifier the filter has to be changed very often for it not to be the source of bacterial and/or fungal contamination.
I don’t use a heat lamp, I use radiant heater so it pushes the risk down, however I was cleaning it a few more times a week as they got older and more messy. I find it hard to clean out they’re new larger water now and it’s very annoying bc they ruin the water so quickly. I don’t like to leave it as long outside bc things can lay eggs and bacteria can grow so I say I do it every couple days. And by a water purifier I mean a human one, I use Burkee

Back
Top Bottom