All Babies Dying 😭

Coffeebean1947

Songster
Aug 25, 2018
I had around 15 chicks I hatched, that were 3 or 4 days old. I picked up 4 polish at the feed store and stupidly did not quarantine.

They were on medicated food, in my living room, in a plastic tub with a heat lamp. A couple got trompled I thought because they were on their backs being stepped on. They died the next day. Then I began losing 1 or 2 a day. I was told it was probably coccidiosis so I swapped out the food for non medicated and started them on corrid. Day 2 on Corid, I just lost two more. They are insanely lethargic before they died, cry constantly, and their poop has a sickly sweet smell. And it comes on all at once. I have not seen any bloody poo in the bedding.

Please help, what am I missing?

I had around 15 chicks I hatched, that were 3 or 4 days old. I picked up 4 polish at the feed store and stupidly did not quarantine.

They were on medicated food, in my living room, in a plastic tub with a heat lamp. A couple got trompled I thought because they were on their backs being stepped on. They died the next day. Then I began losing 1 or 2 a day. I was told it was probably coccidiosis so I swapped out the food for non medicated and started them on corrid. Day 2 on Corid, I just lost two more. They are insanely lethargic before they died, cry constantly, and their poop has a sickly sweet smell. And it comes on all at once. I have not seen any bloody poo in the bedding.

Please help, what am I missing?
Can you please post some photos of the chicks, their poop and of the brooder?
How old are the chicks now?
What are you feeding?
How hot is your brooder?
What dosage of Corid are you using?

Can you please post some photos of the chicks, their poop and of the brooder?
How old are the chicks now?
What are you feeding?
How hot is your brooder?
Thank you! @Wyorp Rock has been a life saver for me. She has the knowledge and experience that is very important, reliable and helpful. She can correct any information if I shared something incorrectly. In other words, she's amazing!

I know that @MGG is still awake as we were chatting on a thread. She knows more than I do and might be able to offer better help
Thanks for the tag. I think you and Wyorp covered everything. I've seen a number of threads about sickly Polish chicks lately. I'm going to go to bed, I'll check back tomorrow. @Coffeebean1947 do you still have any of the dead chicks? It might be worth getting a necropsy done.

How big is your brooder?

Do they have a cool space so they will be able to get away from the heat lamp?

Do you have a thermometer in the brooder?

Smell the first chick feed you gave them, is there any mouldy or rancid smelling?

A friend lost all of her rare breed chicks (sicilian buttercup) due to the poisonous effect of the chick starter she used. She send it in for analysis and the result was devastating.

Back
Top Bottom