Whats wrong with these chicks?

Billie371

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I have 6 chicks that seem to be sick. The 2 buff orpingtons are 14 weeks old and the others are 9 weeks old. They were all puffed up standing alone so I started the whole flock on corid thinking it was coccidiosis. That was 3 days ago they still seem to be acting the same so I separated them from the rest of the flock. I put them in a the garage with a heat lamp and they seem to be loving the heat lamp. I know they are feathered out but they seemed cold. There eyes look sick to me? Does it look like coccidiosis? Could it be something else? If they have been on the corid for 3 days shouldn't they be improving? Also I didn't realize you aren't suppose to use medicated feed with corid so I just got the unmedicated feed today. Could that be why they aren't improving?

Attachments

• IMG20231209142709.jpg
    IMG20231209142709.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG20231209142734.jpg
    IMG20231209142734.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG20231209142807.jpg
    IMG20231209142807.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 27
Do they have any respiratory symptoms, such as sneezing, bubbles in an eye, swollen eyelid, or sunken eyes with conjunctivitis? A respiratory infection could also make them lethargic if they have any of those symptoms. Where did the chicks come from?What does their poop look like? Make sure they are drinking enough of the Corid water. Are they eating anything?

Do they have any respiratory symptoms, such as sneezing, bubbles in an eye, swollen eyelid, or sunken eyes with conjunctivitis? A respiratory infection could also make them lethargic if they have any of those symptoms. Where did the chicks come from?What does their poop look like? Make sure they are drinking enough of the Corid water. Are they eating anything?
A couple of them have sneezed a little bit but it didn't seem alarming.. no bubbles or swelling in the eyes. We got the orpingtons from bomgaars the others were from a local breeder. The first orpington I noticed to look sick had red/bloody poop but now all of their poop is either a greenish or yellowy white color. All of their crops feel empty except for one. One of the orpingtons seems wobbly when she walks. The speckled Sussex in the last picture I was almost positive was a roo but the comb and wattles seem very pale now? They were a bright red. Idk if that is related?

Sneezing can be normal occasionally especially if they get feed in their nostrils. I would mix up a bit of watery chicken feed, with bits of scrambled egg to offer them. Use the Corid water. Make sure that your Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would also give each one 1/4 tsp of undiluted Corid orally daily for several days.

Sneezing can be normal occasionally especially if they get feed in their nostrils. I would mix up a bit of watery chicken feed, with bits of scrambled egg to offer them. Use the Corid water. Make sure that your Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I would also give each one 1/4 tsp of undiluted Corid orally daily for several days.
Okay thank you! I will do that. The younger chicks have had coccidiosis before.. is this something they will get regularly? Well I'm not 100% sure if it was these exact ones but I have other chicks their same age and all were in the brooder together so they all got treated for it.

Coccidia is in the soil and in their poop somewhat. They usually build up an ole dance for it as they mature usually between 10-12 weeks. If there is a lot of it in their bedding or conditions are warm and wet, they can get sick. Keep their bedding dry and stirred, and apply fresh pine shavings as needed. Getting outside on fresh grass can help. Raise feeders and waterers to shoulder height so they don’t poop in it. The medicated feed is supposed to help them build up resistance, but they can still get coccidiosis. They can still eat the medicated feed while on Corid by the way, because the amount of amprollium in the feed is so much less than what is in Corid.

Coccidia is in the soil and in their poop somewhat. They usually build up an ole dance for it as they mature usually between 10-12 weeks. If there is a lot of it in their bedding or conditions are warm and wet, they can get sick. Keep their bedding dry and stirred, and apply fresh pine shavings as needed. Getting outside on fresh grass can help. Raise feeders and waterers to shoulder height so they don’t poop in it. The medicated feed is supposed to help them build up resistance, but they can still get coccidiosis. They can still eat the medicated feed while on Corid by the way, because the amount of amprollium in the feed is so much less than what is in Corid.
Okay thank you for the information. We actually use sand in our coop but I try to clean it out at least once or twice a week. It has rained here and snowed making the ground more wet. We have wood chips in half of the run the other half is basically mud now. Oh okay that is good to know. I have had chickens for 5 years and never had issues but we normally get our chicks in the spring but we had a predator attack so we got some in the fall. It seems like these poor chicks have had nothing but issues. I will try to get them on some fresh grass tomorrow. I gave each of them a dose of straight corid and made them a mash and they all seem to be eating and a little more active now.

This little buff seems to be going downhill fast.. she can't walk right. She wobbles around and falls. She is just sitting in the corner like this. Could she have to much corid? I gave all of them 1/4 tsp of straight corid yesterday and today. The others seem to be getting better.

Attachments

• IMG20231210121704.jpg
    IMG20231210121704.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 16
No she probably is just very sick or dehydrated. Try giving her more of the medicate water, and try to get her to eat some mushy egg or yogurt. If you lose her, I would open the abdomen to look for signs of coccidiosis in the intestines.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom