4 week old duccle lethargic

haley0489

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
I’ve got a 4 week old duccle still in the brooder in my garage. I noticed today it seemed a bit lethargic and thin. I weighed all 3 of my chicks and it’s the thinnest at 72g (the other two were in the 80s and 90s). I’ve been administering Nutri drench and a little sugar water. I also lowered the heat lamp in case it was chilled.

Should I treat for coccidiosis? They’ve never been outside. I see no other symptoms. It’s drinking and at least pecking at the food. Crop feels fairly empty and squishy though.

UPDATE: I ran out and got Corid. Did a drench and added to water. Fingers crossed!!! 🥺

Last edited:
It would not hurt to start some Corid in case of coccidiosis. What is the temperature in the brooder day and night? Can you try offering a little cup of wet chicken feed with some bits of cooked egg? Is there any food in it’s crop?

It would not hurt to start some Corid in case of coccidiosis. What is the temperature in the brooder day and night? Can you try offering a little cup of wet chicken feed with some bits of cooked egg? Is there any food in it’s crop?
I’ve started corid. I did a drench and it’s in the water. Temp of brooder is about 85. They can get away from the heat if they want. It doesn’t show much interest in eating. Crop feels soft and squishy, like there’s only water in it. I just syringed it some egg yolk. It may be too late for this one :( hoping to save the rest of them though. Also, poop looks normal.

Last edited:
Shocked to find the chick alive today. Ever SO slightly more active. Quite a bit more vocal as I syringe fed yolk and sugar. Down 1g in weight. Once again saw it at the food bowl, but don’t think it’s actually eating. Will continue to drench with corid 2x a day and push food and water. It’s other less sickly hatch mate looks quite a bit more alert today.

Chick still looks poorly, but is weighing 76g today!! Looks like food is in its crop and I’m pretty sure it’s actually eating a little bit instead of just pecking.

I have been massaging it’s crop every day in addition to corid treatment and syringe feedings.

Chick still looks poorly, but is weighing 76g today!! Looks like food is in its crop and I’m pretty sure it’s actually eating a little bit instead of just pecking.

I have been massaging it’s crop every day in addition to corid treatment and syringe feedings.
I hope it gets better, make sure its eating

During coccidiosis, the crop can be slow due to the infection in the intestines. I probably would not massage the crop if it is soft and puffy, which could lead to vomiting and aspiration. Glad to hear the chick is still alive. Fluids are the most important to take. The egg is good, and mushy wet feed, too. Let us know how she gets along.

My chick is up to 90g today with no further interventions. I did move an older chick out of the brooder the same day I noticed symptoms. Now I wonder if it was cocci OR the older one hogging all the food. Either way, looks like my chick is gonna make it! Today is day 5 of corid (last day) and I will be adding nutri drench the next few days to boost their vitamin levels.

Back
Top Bottom