Emergency- respiratory disease?

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
I have 4 week old chicks in my brooder inside the house with the heat lamp on. I began turning it off during the day to hopefully slowly adjust to cooler temps here soon when they outside eventually. The last 2 days there has been a lot of sneezing and one bird in particular sounds a bit stuffy. They are eating and drinking normal. Maybe from turning the heat lamp off during the day? They seemed fine before bed id turn it back on because theyd start to.huddle eachother and i could tell they were getting a bit cold. I took in a few silkies from a friend that had coccidiosis and I am treating both brooders just to be safe since they're all in the same room. Is there anything I can do/give them in case this is turning into a respiratory infection? Could it be related to corid or coccidiosis? I'm keeping heat lamp on the whole time just in case now.

The brooder is a large cage with a wire type floor with puppy pads underneath.

Taking chicks from another person to be near your chicks could be a problem if the other person raises chickens or has older ones. Were the chicks from a hatchery, feed store, or did someone sell them or eggs? How often are you hearing sneezing, and is it the same birds every so often? Sneezing is fairly common during eating if dust from feed gets into nostrils. Ammonia fumes from poop, or moldy spots from wet bedding could also cause problems. Sick birds would sneeze, have watery eyes and beaks. Mycoplasma or infectious bronchitis are a couple of common respiratory diseases. Sneezing would not be related to Corid. Hopefully, it is nothing to worry about. Keep you bedding clean and dry as possible. Are any acting lethargic?

Taking chicks from another person to be near your chicks could be a problem if the other person raises chickens or has older ones. Were the chicks from a hatchery, feed store, or did someone sell them or eggs? How often are you hearing sneezing, and is it the same birds every so often? Sneezing is fairly common during eating if dust from feed gets into nostrils. Ammonia fumes from poop, or moldy spots from wet bedding could also cause problems. Sick birds would sneeze, have watery eyes and beaks. Sneezing would not be related to Corid.
The ones in question are from meyer hatchery. The others in the quarantine brooder are from a friend who hatched them out. It's the same bird sneezing. They all will sneeze randomly here or there but this specific one is sneezing and stuffy/raspy sounding periodically throughout the day. I'll think they'll be improving and then a few hours later start sneezing and stuffy sounding again. I don't see watery eyes or beak as of yet. But want to try to get it under control before it becomes more. I've been changing the puppy pads under their brooder every day, sometimes twice a day just to keep it as clean as possible since I've noticed the sneezing.

The ones in question are from meyer hatchery. The others in the quarantine brooder are from a friend who hatched them out. It's the same bird sneezing. They all will sneeze randomly here or there but this specific one is sneezing and stuffy/raspy sounding periodically throughout the day. I'll think they'll be improving and then a few hours later start sneezing and stuffy sounding again. I don't see watery eyes or beak as of yet. But want to try to get it under control before it becomes more. I've been changing the puppy pads under their brooder every day, sometimes twice a day just to keep it as clean as possible since I've noticed the sneezing.
If no improvement tomorrow can I try giving vet rx? Theyre 4 weeks old. And on corid for the possible cross contamination from the others.

Can you get Tylosin or Tylan? That is an antibiotic that treats MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) a chronic respiratory disease. Vet Rx is herbal oils. MG is a respiratory disease that can be in some flocks, and it causes carriers and can also be passed through hatching eggs. That is probably not what is wrong, hopefully it is just some random sneezing from fumes or dust in the feed. But it can be a problem that can affect chicks. Symptoms may not show up until a few weeks old. Look for the symptoms listed above, or any swelling around an eye, lethargy, signs of chilling. Tylosin powder can be bought here to treat in the water:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon or 1/4 tsp per quart of water for 5 days.

Can you get Tylosin or Tylan? That is an antibiotic that treats MG (mycoplasma gallisepticum,) a chronic respiratory disease. Vet Rx is herbal oils. MG is a respiratory disease that can be in some flocks, and it causes carriers and can also be passed through hatching eggs. That is probably not what is wrong, hopefully it is just some random sneezing from fumes or dust in the feed. But it can be a problem that can affect chicks. Symptoms may not show up until a few weeks old. Look for the symptoms listed above, or any swelling around an eye, lethargy, signs of chilling. Tylosin powder can be bought here to treat in the water:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon or 1/4 tsp per quart of water for 5 days.
Thank you. Is it anything I could have done or just from hatching? And it is safe to give them all this even if that's not what's wrong?

It is safe, but it will take some time to come. So in the meantime, watch for any other symptoms, maintain good ventilation, fresh air, and keep them warm enough, but not too warm. At 6 weeks, most chicks are fully feathered and by then, normally heat should not be necessary. Just calm down, and hopefully it is not a respiratory disease.

It is safe, but it will take some time to come. So in the meantime, watch for any other symptoms, maintain good ventilation, fresh air, and keep them warm enough, but not too warm. At 6 weeks, most chicks are fully feathered and by then, normally heat should not be necessary. Just calm down, and hopefully it is not a respiratory disease.
Thank you for the help hopefully it passes I will see if I can find any that will get here sooner but if not I may need to just wait and keep a close eye on them

Ugh... upon further inspection a few actually have puffy watery eyes and now they are all sneezing tonight! It says it wouldn't be delivered until the 20th would they be ok for that amount of time or should I find something sooner/pay to expedite it?

Unfortunately most antibiotics are prescription only unless you have a vet who could prescribe. The one I posted about is good, and the store has a good reputation. What is your general location? Did you ask if they could ship it overnight? Just make sure that your chicks are warm enough, drinking well and eating. Does your friend have older chickens, or did they get the eggs from someone else?

Back
Top Bottom