All-Black Chick with 4 Toes

doomsie

Songster
Mar 28, 2023
Northern FL Panhandle
Hi everyone!

I got 2 black chicks from a backyard breeder that said they were Mystic Onyx, and indeed one of them has 5 toes.

The other has 4 toes, and is growing much faster than her sister. Is it possible there was a mixup and the 4-toed chick is a different breed entirely? Does anybody know if it's possible to have a mutation in which she'd only have 4 toes?

Her sister has a glossy, purple/green oil slick coloration coming in, while Annabel Lee is more matte.

I'm posting pictures here. It's hard to see her feet, and for that I apologize. Anyone with familiarity with Mystics (or other black breeds), I'm all ears. Pretty interested in if she's actually a she, as well. Could very well be a cockerel, but they're only about 5.5 weeks old and I think it's too soon to tell.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• AnnabelLeeSideShot.png
    AnnabelLeeSideShot.png
    3 MB · Views: 49
  • AnnabelLeeUpright.png
    AnnabelLeeUpright.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • AnnabelLeeHeadOn.png
    AnnabelLeeHeadOn.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 27
Mystic Onyx is a hatchery hybrid, and the black skin and 5th toe come from Silkies. But since it's a cross, the 5th toe won't necessarily be present due to mixed genetics. It does look like a Mystic Onyx, and growth rate even within the same variety will be variable.

Mystic Onyx is a hatchery hybrid, and the black skin and 5th toe come from Silkies. But since it's a cross, the 5th toe won't necessarily be present due to mixed genetics. It does look like a Mystic Onyx, and growth rate even within the same variety will be variable.
That's interesting, and good to know. Thank you for the insight.

Back
Top Bottom