All Black Flock

cavemanrich

Addict
6 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Wow! that looks amazing. Did you start by buying chicks specifically to raise as meat birds?...or did you buy chicks to raise/breed to then raise their chicks as meat birds?
That was just a pix since you asked how they look. I did not cook that one. I did cook the one below. Regular chicken:drool:drool:drool
We eat chicken soup regularly.. :old
@IMG_20190921_153142584_HDR.jpg

BTW an Ayam Cemani dinner is quite pricey.. $$$$$ and somewhat hard to locate.
I can get Silkies, at the butch, for about $10 each. The meat is dark, but not as black as Cemanis. Silkies do not scale out very heavy, so price per pound hanging weight (dressed) is still somewhat high. :idunno

Nigel27

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
West coast North America
image.jpg
74D0D54F-6AA8-41B5-BCED-A74284F8E2DB.jpeg
My black flock is growing! I haven’t separated my breeders yet cause I need some extra layers at the school but as soon as I get enough hens I will get more stringent about who’s eggs are hatching around here. I have some grey(blue?) and a white olive egger but I’m reluctant to breed as the grey gene is a dilution gene. I don’t wantthe black to get diluted. But I do want green eggs. Maybe I’ll be able to locate some black plumage blue eggers nearby.
The little one ☝️ up in the top pic almost died from coccidiosis but recovered now he/she is turning green already and it’s like a month old! I hope the stress didn’t cause early maturity? Ever heard of that?

Newyorkrita

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Long Island, New York
I really want Ayam Cemanis now.. but their poor egg laying kinda stops me from ordering any. All of these chicks mommas are great layers, it would be awesome to create Ayams that lay well

Dragon Fly Farm has Ayam Cemani that they say are terrific layers .

They sell and ship hatching eggs.

https://www.dragonflyfarmnc.com/ayam-cemani

cavemanrich

Addict
6 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
Ayam Cemani are very cool breed of chicken. If I can’t source Yeonsan Ogye, I would opt for the Ayam Cemani.
I do not know very much about this breed (ogye) but read that it is endangered due to the A1 virus. in Korea. :idunno ... Is this breed available here in the US, and Canada?
Also wondering how the combination of them with Ayam crossing would be?? My understanding is, the Ogye are somewhat smaller chicken.

BleuSaphir

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Santa Clarita, CA
I do not know very much about this breed (ogye) but read that it is endangered due to the A1 virus. in Korea. :idunno ... Is this breed available here in the US, and Canada?
Also wondering how the combination of them with Ayam crossing would be?? My understanding is, the Ogye are somewhat smaller chicken.
That such a shame. I hope the korean population bounces back. There a few breeder in the US.

Kajoda929

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Central California

What I just read says they're larger than Ayam Cemani...I hadn't even heard of them, but it looks next to impossible to get ahold of some...

I also read that part of the reason for their brink of extinction, as it was put, is their personality...They are not an overly friendly breed, though some sites claim them to be "spunky" or "goofy"

Top Bottom