All but one chick has died

Christinacgraham

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2021
Hi, so I am new to raising baby chicks- but I tried my best to research everything. We were incubating 9 eggs and only one hatched, after inspection only 2 of the other eggs had anything in them. We didn't want this little guy to grow up by himself so I ordered 7 chicks from Meyer's. One was DOA, the others were fine for the first couple of days. I regularly checked the temperature to make sure it was right and they had unlimited access to food and water. One had died on day 3 overnight and then another that next morning, I was worried it was a disease (starts with a C but cant spell it) so I gave them a 5 day treatment of Corid. A couple days later one more died, and they've been dying each one by one about every other day. They'll seem fine one minute and then gone the next. My last two from the shipment have gone today, the only remaining one is the one we hatched ourselves. He was only a few days older than them, shared their space and food and water, and is seemingly unaffected by whatever got the rest of them. Any ideas?

I'm sorry, can you post pictures of their brooder.
20211007_101437.jpg

Hmm, have you checked the heat bulb to make sure it's chicken safe? Any febreeze or air freshener in the area? What type of food? Can they cool down and move out of the heat if they need to?

The bulb was intended for brooding chickens, there has been no air freshner they are in a private room of the house that we don't use except to see them. It's a chick starter feed I'm unsure of the brand but its from a local farm store. I created a shady area thats a few degrees lower they can move to if its too hot but they never seemed to intentionally go into the cooler area or warmer area.

Hi, so I am new to raising baby chicks- but I tried my best to research everything. We were incubating 9 eggs and only one hatched, after inspection only 2 of the other eggs had anything in them. We didn't want this little guy to grow up by himself so I ordered 7 chicks from Meyer's. One was DOA, the others were fine for the first couple of days. I regularly checked the temperature to make sure it was right and they had unlimited access to food and water. One had died on day 3 overnight and then another that next morning, I was worried it was a disease (starts with a C but cant spell it) so I gave them a 5 day treatment of Corid. A couple days later one more died, and they've been dying each one by one about every other day. They'll seem fine one minute and then gone the next. My last two from the shipment have gone today, the only remaining one is the one we hatched ourselves. He was only a few days older than them, shared their space and food and water, and is seemingly unaffected by whatever got the rest of them. Any ideas?
What is the temperature of their brooder? Do you have any pictures of their droppings?

Back
Top Bottom