All chickens are dead

I'm so sorry. That is also my fear. I have a high strung re wire-haired terrier. She would only want to "play", but that would be IT! Don't make any decisions rashly!

I'm so sorry Lanissa. I know how attached to my chicks I am, I feel so bad. I know you had just gotten new chicks too.

I don't blame you for putting down the dog, I would feel the same way.

I feel your heartache over this and I'm so very sorry it happened. It's certainly a bit of hell on earth.

After reading every single day on this website about dogs murdering/maiming chickens with all too often the innocently unsuspecting chicken person's own dog sadly the culprit (this is a particular nightmare that I can't fathom enduring, which is why I will not have a dog while I have chickens) - I can't in good conscience generally concur with the idea of getting more chickens while a chicken killing dog (however wonderful in other aspects) is in residence. It's just so hard to have a fail safe system, despite best intentions. Here is a case of a 16 year old dog that none of us would likely have suspected would jump up on the couch, much less be inspired to go on a killing spree, and yet it happened.

In this case, it doesn't sound like the dog will live a great deal longer anyway because of its age and medical problems so my gut is saying to wait on getting chickens until the dog is no longer with us if there is any chance whatsoever that this could happen again. The one confounding thing in this particular case is that now there is only one chicken left and it really will need a feathered friend so this situation may require getting at least one chicken now as a friend for the survivor.

I am not able to think of casualties like this casually (e.g. accidents happen, you can replace the chickens), for it is total terror and torture for chickens that are attacked and/or killed. Those beings can never be 'replaced', really. Their unique and special lives are extinguished. While killing may come naturally to a dog, and it's not their fault, it is on us completely if we intentionally put predator and prey in close proximity and tempt history to repeat itself. Exception - fail safe system, but is there such a thing? We feel the pain we feel upon these losses because the beings we lost are irreplaceable, as unique as each one of us (we would correctly assert that each of us is irreplaceable, even though there are 6 billion of us roaming the earth!).

I wish I had the power to turn the clock back to before that fateful moment to spare you and your feathered friends this terrible event. Your intentions were nothing but good, which is what makes this especially sad. Your hen is going to need a lot of TLC right now - what she witnessed and the loss of her feathered friends - she must be stressed. No doubt you will help her through it. If you have or can get Rescue Remedy it may help her a bit (Bach Flower Remedy - a drop in her water would be fine - health food stores and now many pharmacies carry it). You can take it too if you'd like.

Sending best wishes and again, I'm so very sorry. ..JJ

I am very sorry about your chicks, that had to be terribly upsetting.

Please give yourself a week or two to decide about your dog. I have a 13 yr. old dog who is in pretty bad shape, but I know darned well he'd kill all of my chicks if he got the chance.

Get some companions for Booger, get your coop built, and things should go better this time.

- Michelle

jjthink, your words were nice, but I have other chickies, they are just WAY too young for Booger at the moment. And the dog killed all my hens and left Booger with us which is my son's Roo. He will have to be a loner for a couple of weeks until I can introduce him to others, atleast he made it through the night. I held him for 3 hours or so until he stopped hyperventilating (didn't know chickens did that). I was afraid he would not make it through the night. He screamed every time I put him in the Brooder, so he ended up sleeping with me. Sounds like a habit I will not be able to break for the little fella'. Now Booger is a Bachelor and he will have a huge bachelor pad to himself..... As for the Dog...well I have calmed down, and it is a "Family" decision not just my own. We are putting her down but waiting a day or two so we can all go outside and spend some time with her. I don't want my 16 year old friend living us feeling like we do not love her anymore. These intentions are not for just killing my hens, she also has gone a little senile at times, what if she decides my child is prey one day but does not mean it? So this is what is to come I suppose.

I'm glad you decided to wait a bit on putting the dog down. If you did it while you were still upset about the chickens you would always feel bad about it.
In a way, it made that decision easier for you. It's always hard to decide exactly "when" if the animal isn't in obvious pain or suffering.
I'm sure you have given her a good long, loving life.
Dogs will be dogs and it wasn't her fault, especially if as you said, she hasn't been quite herself lately. Give her a last few days or a week or so of love and let her go.

I'm sorry about what happened to your babies and I'm sorry your dog had to be the culprit. At some level I'm sure your dog knows he's in the 'dog box' now and will certainly be picking up on the household vibes.

As for your little survivor, I've found when something tramatic like this happens giving him a misting with rescue remedy (health food stores ave it or you can get it on line) can really take the edge off the anxiety. I use it on my animals if they get injured and I use it on myself when I have something gnarly to deal with ie the DENTIST!

I would also give yourself and your dog a dose if and when you decide it's time for him to move on.

Barb

I am so sorry! I send hugs and prayers both for losing your chickens and because the dog you love is the culprit.

I've been there - my wonderful 11 yr. old dog killed my favorite pullet last year. It was all my fault and I didn't blame him at all. He was doing what most (not all) dogs will do.

I disagree with not having dogs while having chickens. We live where there are a lot of predators (cougar, coyotes, fox, raccoons, stray dogs, etc.). Our watch dogs are exceptional at their jobs of protecting my chickens and livestock from those predators. (Not to mention our children!!) When we moved here I was afraid to let my Shepherd run free at night for about eight months - I didn't know if he would stay here or roam since he'd always been in a fenced yard. During that eight months we lost five barn cats to predators. We finally let him run lose all night ... he has always stayed here and we've never lost a cat (not one) since the day we let him have 100% freedom. That was six years ago!

Yes, I have to take care and make sure the chickens aren't let out to free range until the dogs are locked in the garage. It's well worth the little hassle for us to have both.

I'm glad you waited to make the decision to put your dog down. As said, we should never make decisions in the 'heat of the moment'. It does sound like it's her time and that's probably the best decision for her. I hate to see any animal suffer just because a person is soo attached and can't let go.

Edited to fix a bad sentence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom