All chicks Suddenly dying

taylacline

Chirping
May 19, 2022
Southern West Virginia
I've had our chicks for about a week. They seem to be doing fine up until I came in and noticed one of my smallest chicks had been trampled. By the time I removed her from the brooder I saw another chick laying on her side. I scooped her up and noticed she was gasping. Within a few seconds she started having convulsions and died in my hand. Then one right after the other I had 3 more gasp, convulse, and die all with in a few minutes from each other. In a matter of minutes all of my chicks suddenly died but one. But she hasn't moved from her spot. Im not sure what happened. They were all fine just a few hours prior.

Update: after talking to two experienced chicken owners they seem to think the brooder was too hot based off how they died. Thanks for all the advice though

Last edited:
what kind of brooder do you use? Do you use a heating pad or heat lamp? what do you use for bedding? @casportpony @azygous @Eggcessive
sorry for your losses :hugs
We have a heat lamp, and pine shavings. I have them in our guest bathtub with the headlamp on the shower rod. I have it raised pretty high because its pretty warm and we have the vents open to keep the air flow circulating in the bathroom. They never seemed cold, huddled together directly under the lamp. But not always opposite of the lamp either.

When multiple baby chicks die all at once, the cause is usually environmental, not pathological. (Illness)

Environmental causes of chick mortality:

Brooder too hot or too cold
Water contaminated, usually unfiltered well water.
Moldy feed
Insecticide use near chicks
Air pollution from adjacent human activity (work shop, auto shop)
Improper food, usually undigestible without chick grit

Back
Top Bottom