All flock feed question?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Britney M, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Britney M

Britney M Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    I'm feeding my flock all flock feed with 18 percent protein I have a rooster layers of different ages and a broody hatching chicks they are all together can the chicks eat the all flock feed it has 18%protein wich is what chicks need?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Check the calcium level. Some all flock feeds have the same amount of calcium as layer. Too much calcium is really bad for young chicks.

3. Britney M

Jun 24, 2016
    1.4 to 1.9% calcium seems low

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi [​IMG] I use an all flock or flock raiser for the same type of flock, mixed age and gender. The one I use is 20%.

If I could, I would prefer more than 18% for growing birds especially. Sometimes I mix game bird starter in to up the protein level.

I know layer usually has at least 4% calcium and of course I agree with @junebuggena that would be too much for chicks and roos. Can I figure you provide oyster shell on the side for layers?

1 person likes this.
  5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That is the perfect range for non-producing birds. You are fine just feeding the all flock, provided you have a calcium supplement available for those that need more.

6. Britney M

Jun 24, 2016
    Good to know I do provide my layers oyster shell and I do scramble plain eggs once in a while for everyone good protein

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

How many chickens do you have?

Have you considered fermenting your feed? I do this and can't believe the difference in the poo. They are more solid than not and still stinky but way less. Here is a link to check out some benefits and see if it might be right for you. One note that seems confusing... it increases protein by 12%. That would be your 18% X 0.12 would equal 20.16% total protein. Sometimes it takes a couple days for the flock to adjust to the new looking feed. Others dig in right away and never look back. But most if not all, gobble it up once they are familiar with it.

https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

And if you have any questions, a great place to get them answered is....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/645057/fermented-feeds-anyone-using-them/7300

Good luck and best wishes! [​IMG]

Love to see a pic of your broody and chicks when they hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by