All flock feed recommendations.

I switched from Nutrena All Flock 20% protein to Kalmbach Organic All Flock 20% protein about a month ago because I wanted an organic feed.

I found Kalmbach at an independent feed store that I want to give my business to, instead of TSC. I still buy stuff at TSC, but they didn't have an organic option for All Flock feed, so that's why I looked elsewhere.

Thanks everyone! At the feedstore, they recommended the Purina one, so thats what I went with. (The person helping me kept chickens, so I trusted their feedback, and they are super nice.) I still have a bit (Maybe a few pounds of each) of the chick feed and layer feed. I don't want it to go to waste, and the chicks are fully moved out together. Can/should I keep offering both feeds, right next to each other, or should I mix them, or what? The hens feed is Scratch and Peck Organic Layer Feed, and it is mostly seeds with some powder (no pellets) I don't know if the chicks can actually eat it (might be too big) but I could be wrong. Once all that feed is used, I will switch to the All flock one with oyster shell or egg shell on the side. (when I went to the farm and feed, they were out of oyster shell, and said they had been out for a while.... time to start saving egg shells)

Thanks again!

also, at my local feed store, they may have Payback Organic Pullet Developer Pellets. I know they carry the Payback brand. I have tried their Layer Feed and it worked... would grower pellets be similar to all flock? Or is it different.

😮 I have never seen grower pellets from Payback. That's something I'd actually be interested in getting, as I prefer pellet feed for less mess.

Also, another feed I found, that I know my local farm and feed has is this
View attachment 2623671
(I found the bag in the shed (it was empty) and I think I used it for past chicks.) would it work?

Payback makes an organic, non medicated hatch-to-hen which is what I raise my chicks on (and feed the rest of the flock as well), all the way until they begin laying.

I still have a bit (Maybe a few pounds of each) of the chick feed and layer feed. I don't want it to go to waste, and the chicks are fully moved out together. Can/should I keep offering both feeds, right next to each other, or should I mix them, or what? The hens feed is Scratch and Peck Organic Layer Feed, and it is mostly seeds with some powder (no pellets) I don't know if the chicks can actually eat it (might be too big) but I could be wrong.
I personally wouldn't mix them at this time. If the layer isn't too old, I'd hold onto it and once the chicks are older (like 16-18 weeks or more) then maybe mix in 1/4 of layer to 3/4 starter/all flock/etc should be ok, as some people do like to transition to layer a bit earlier and by mixing it you'd dilute down the calcium a little as well.

😮 I have never seen grower pellets from Payback. That's something I'd actually be interested in getting, as I prefer pellet feed for less mess.

Payback makes an organic, non medicated hatch-to-hen which is what I raise my chicks on (and feed the rest of the flock as well), all the way until they begin laying.

I personally wouldn't mix them at this time. If the layer isn't too old, I'd hold onto it and once the chicks are older (like 16-18 weeks or more) then maybe mix in 1/4 of layer to 3/4 starter/all flock/etc should be ok, as some people do like to transition to layer a bit earlier and by mixing it you'd dilute down the calcium a little as well.
Ok, I will do that, thank you! What should I do with the chick feed?

I guess I made a mistake, oops! Its called Organic Pullet Developer Pellet. Not sure if thats the same as grower.
You can feed the chick feed mixed in with the grower/all flock until it's gone, as that's fine for the adults to eat as well.
Thanks!
Screenshot (10).png

I guess I made a mistake, oops! Its called Organic Pullet Developer Pellet. Not sure if thats the same as grower.

Thanks!
View attachment 2624032

Yeah I just looked it up. Haven't seen it in stores, but if my usual feed store starts carrying it I'll definitely try it.

Only other organic grower pellet I've seen is Modesto Milling but my flock simply does not like it (I managed to get through 3 bags before I couldn't take them throwing feed everywhere any longer!)

also, at my local feed store, they may have Payback Organic Pullet Developer Pellets. I know they carry the Payback brand. I have tried their Layer Feed and it worked... would grower pellets be similar to all flock? Or is it different.
I think their version of all flock is called all purpose poultry . I’ve used it, I was pleased with it and it was typically weeks fresher than the Purina Flock Raiser. Then the pandemic hit and there were issues so I’ve been using Flock Raiser. @Kiki made a spreadsheet of poultry feeds and their nutrient profiles. You might enjoy looking at that.

Back
Top Bottom