All gone wrong

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by benjamin123, Jun 17, 2018.

1. benjamin123

benjamin123 Songster

Sep 9, 2014
    I've used this incubator many times with good success rate. It was all normal till day 10 when the heat dropped to 33 ish Celsius. Its now day 16 and all the way down to 28 and I've placed an insulating bow around it which doesn't seem to have a great effect on the temperature but has increased the humidity to 72%. I've candled and they seem to still be developing. Do they have a chance? If so does anyone have ideas about how to increase the temperature?

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Can you reset the temperature?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    What incubator do you have? There are all kinds of different makes and models with different temperature controls.

One possibility is that your thermostat has gone bad. It kind of sounds that way to me. It's kicking off too soon instead of warming it up enough. Another possibility is that somehow the thermostat setting is getting changed. Since it is a gradual decline in temperature this is unlikely. Who would be tampering with the setting? How much do you trust your thermometer? Could you be getting a false reading?

The only way I know of to increase the temperature is to adjust your thermostat setting. How and how much is the big question. If you try this watch it closely to avoid a temperature spike. Or install a new thermostat.

Do those eggs have a chance? Maybe, but that is not good. Since your candling was positive I'd keep going.

Good luck!

benjamin123 likes this.
  4. benjamin123

benjamin123 Songster

Sep 9, 2014
    Thank you for the replies. I've since managed to raise the temperature to 36 with the use of a reptile heater and checked it with a digital thermometer which agrees with the built in one. It seems the heater has lost its effectiveness, I'll carry on and hope for the best.

Ridgerunner likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: