All guesses on breed welcome-

sdChickie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 6, 2009
San Diego
This is a rescue bird from some friends that had her wonder into their urban yard in North County San Diego. They asked around the neighborhood but no one claimed her or knew who she belong to. They asked me to take her in due to me having a backyard flock. But I'm not sure she is a chicken?
She's rather scared, but the few times I have been able to hold her she settles down. This leads me to believe that she has been held in the past, so she isn't wild. But I am not sure.
Thank you for your input- Allie in San Diego

Last edited:
When I read your post this morning, before the pics, and you said it might not be a chicken...I was like, what the heck is it then? Lol, was expecting something freaky.

I have never seen a hen with a long tail like hers, she raises it up at times and fans it out, like the look of a turkey tail.

I have never seen a hen with a long tail like hers, she raises it up at times and fans it out, like the look of a turkey tail.
Does she sound like a broody hen? All my broodies do this before, during the sitting period and while they are raising their chicks. I call it turkeying. It reminds me of a turkey strutting :lol:

a few broody pics from today

had visitors in my workshop 

got this pic off right before she flogged me twice for getting too close. The lil ones were off the nest 10 minutes tops when I got this pic. 

and a little while later I look out the shop door and had to take this pic. Baby head :D

Another dark blue Sumatra who started sitting a few days ago. A funny succession of pics.

In other broody news another black Sumatra hen started sitting yesterday. And my only Black Austrolop is starting to show broody signs. She is 3. Never been broody before, so only time will tell.
Here is a good example of what I mean.

Last edited:
Those are great pics! Thanks for sharing. That is so sweet of the Mama hen with her chicks. The birdie I have has only a few tail feathers that are long, not as many feathers as a hen usually has.

Back
Top Bottom