All Hens killed by Dog

I had 2 speckled Sussex 26 months, 2 easter eggers 5 years old, three 26 month barred rocks. Neighbors dog has repeatedly dug under my fence past year and a half to run on my property and I have warned him to control them. I warned him of my livestock. His dogs came on my property and I was alerted by security cam. I texted him to get them and he couldn't find them he said. Then I got horrible alerts from the coop security cam of his Husky killing my hens in their coop. The dog ripped off the side of the run (1/4 inch hardware cloth secured by industrial staples and a board and got in. Then shoved through the automatic door and got into the coop. The coop and run have been proof against racoons, bobcats, coyotes, and a fox for 5 years. It was secure we thought. It has 18 inches of hardware cloth dug out from the concrete barrier at the edges.
The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.
I am starting to get past the shock, horror, and rage, and just crying and waking up at night and trying to organize my mind what action to take.
I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know. I am in southern CA, and we have fairly strict laws about this, especially when it includes killing to livestock, which includes chickens.
By the way, the dog just killed them and went off and left them laying in a pile.
I am so, so angry and so sad. My husband loved them, too. He built the coop and run and put his back into making them safe and comfortable. One irresponsible person caused this. It did not have to happen.
I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think you're doing all the right things in this matter. I also think that you will heal, and you will consider getting more chickens. When a coyote got one of my chickens, I thought I would just keep the two I have left. My neighbor brought some left-over fencing from one of her projects and helped me reinforce my coop. Now I'm looking at what the hatchery has available.

Don't you have a shotgun? I live out in the country and here in Mo. if something is killing/harassing your live stock, including fowl you have every right to put an end to it permanently. That is the rule I go by.
Same here. I think it's like that most places. If any predator comes onto your property and attempts to go after you or your animals you have the right to shoot.

I had 2 speckled Sussex 26 months, 2 easter eggers 5 years old, three 26 month barred rocks. Neighbors dog has repeatedly dug under my fence past year and a half to run on my property and I have warned him to control them. I warned him of my livestock. His dogs came on my property and I was alerted by security cam. I texted him to get them and he couldn't find them he said. Then I got horrible alerts from the coop security cam of his Husky killing my hens in their coop. The dog ripped off the side of the run (1/4 inch hardware cloth secured by industrial staples and a board and got in. Then shoved through the automatic door and got into the coop. The coop and run have been proof against racoons, bobcats, coyotes, and a fox for 5 years. It was secure we thought. It has 18 inches of hardware cloth dug out from the concrete barrier at the edges.
The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.
I am starting to get past the shock, horror, and rage, and just crying and waking up at night and trying to organize my mind what action to take.
I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know. I am in southern CA, and we have fairly strict laws about this, especially when it includes killing to livestock, which includes chickens.
By the way, the dog just killed them and went off and left them laying in a pile.
I am so, so angry and so sad. My husband loved them, too. He built the coop and run and put his back into making them safe and comfortable. One irresponsible person caused this. It did not have to happen.
I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think
Don’t forget pain and suffering that your pets were murdered in this manner and you had to see and clean up your beloved pets whom you loved so much.

I am so very sorry for your loss. How devastating. Like you, I would pursue this to the fullest extent of the law and not give up. The idea of a trap in front of the pen is really good. IF I were to catch the dog, it would be dispatched permanently.
Boom.
We had 2 unleased, uncollared local dogs come into our yard and terrorize chickens and ducks and our goose. Police came, recognized the dogs, but did not tell us whose they were. NOTHING was done. We called the police several times but no one returned calls. Thank goodness our birds were all safe, but if anything like that ever happens again, the dogs will be shot. Hubby was home when this happened. I scooped up the goose who was being chased, and he has a rifle, but it was in the house. No time to run and get it. He threw a large rock and hit one dog in the head, it only scared it, but it was still near enough for the cops to get it.
If it comes to this, make sure that dead dog has some bird feathers in its mouth. Then I'd call the police one more time and ask if they'd like to investigate you for doing their job.

I would get out the shot gun. Bury the dog. Problem solved.

Years ago when we lived in Massachusetts we had the same problem. Our four children had 4-H show chickens. Our neighbor's Husky and Doberman tore the door off our large coop made a piled of the dead and dieing birds and left. My husband followed the killers right to their home. We did receive compensation for the birds along with tons of harassment by the neighbor. We put up a fence and electrified it with the strongest charger available inorder protect the new chickens. The dogs did come back and the fence stopped them. My husband shot and killed the Doberman when it tried to attack him. We buried the dog and said nothing, the Husky never came back.

Wow how horrible. Neighbor would be getting a call to come get his dog, and he wouldn't need a leash.
Here in OK they die of lead poisoning if they go after someone's chickens. My young dogs have killed 7 of mine over time and we are working with them. As they get older they are learning they are not squeaky toys, but it is hard. If they had been anyone else's birds we might not have the pups that did it anymore.

No wonder you feel so sad and angry and hurt! The neighbour may rehome the dog? Wait and see what occurs as a result of your proceedings I think. There are stronger coops. (Steel mesh) He can pay for that and stronger fences too. He owes you new chickens but the damages should help

Here in OK they die of lead poisoning if they go after someone's chickens. My young dogs have killed 7 of mine over time and we are working with them. As they get older they are learning they are not squeaky toys, but it is hard. If they had been anyone else's birds we might not have the pups that did it anymore.
I used to own a Dingo and mostly kept her in buying an electric fence. When she got out and bit the neighbours goat on the leg, although she ran away, when she was yelled at, we rehomed her in suburbia with my brother, just to make sure that it never happened again. There she lived a peaceful life until her natural death, and did not hurt anything else. It’s hard because it is in the nature of most dogs: the survival instinct. It’s not really the dogs fault. If you raise them together, I have heard they coexist- if it is an obedient breed . Our Doberman used to catch them (not kill) and then drop the chooks as soon as I saw her or yelled at her, She would be running around with them in her mouth like she picked up a toy. She never killed them but the Chicken did die of shock after I picked it up and was carrying it back. It was unharmed in any other way and it was a real shame . I rehomed that Dog as well to a place that had no other small animals , She was very gentle with the elderly and children, but could not live with snakes, rats or chickens It wasn’t hard to rehome her as I had not had her long, and she was an older dog that I had rescued. She was a good animal, but unfortunately liked to play with chickens.. that of course is nothing like the viciousness of this neighbours’ Dog however,
It being a husky is closely related to the wolf (I think?) just like my Australian Dingo. Before those dogs I owned another Doberman who actually grew up protecting my little bird from the Cattle dog who would run under her belly for safety!!

Back
Top Bottom