All Hens killed by Dog

Pics
I had 2 speckled Sussex 26 months, 2 easter eggers 5 years old, three 26 month barred rocks. Neighbors dog has repeatedly dug under my fence past year and a half to run on my property and I have warned him to control them. I warned him of my livestock. His dogs came on my property and I was alerted by security cam. I texted him to get them and he couldn't find them he said. Then I got horrible alerts from the coop security cam of his Husky killing my hens in their coop. The dog ripped off the side of the run (1/4 inch hardware cloth secured by industrial staples and a board and got in. Then shoved through the automatic door and got into the coop. The coop and run have been proof against racoons, bobcats, coyotes, and a fox for 5 years. It was secure we thought. It has 18 inches of hardware cloth dug out from the concrete barrier at the edges.
The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.
I am starting to get past the shock, horror, and rage, and just crying and waking up at night and trying to organize my mind what action to take.
I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know. I am in southern CA, and we have fairly strict laws about this, especially when it includes killing to livestock, which includes chickens.
By the way, the dog just killed them and went off and left them laying in a pile.
I am so, so angry and so sad. My husband loved them, too. He built the coop and run and put his back into making them safe and comfortable. One irresponsible person caused this. It did not have to happen.
I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think
I am not going to be popular here but nonetheless as a dog person here goes. Why was your first inclination to sue? Did you first contact the owner directly in a civil and grieving manner (as you clearly are) and ask for compensation AND firmly ensure this would not happen again? Was this an on-going occurrence, their loose dog or a one off? Yes, I am dog person and yes, I have chickens and yes, I have lost my flock to dogs who were roaming the neighborhood and yes I was angry. Eventually it was determined the owners were NOT of the responsible variety and all too willing to release their dogs to the pound. Since I work with dog rescue folks we were able instead to rehome them. Give the owner a chance to make things right instead of escalating the event to bad feelings in the neighborhood.

I had 2 speckled Sussex 26 months, 2 easter eggers 5 years old, three 26 month barred rocks. Neighbors dog has repeatedly dug under my fence past year and a half to run on my property and I have warned him to control them. I warned him of my livestock. His dogs came on my property and I was alerted by security cam. I texted him to get them and he couldn't find them he said. Then I got horrible alerts from the coop security cam of his Husky killing my hens in their coop. The dog ripped off the side of the run (1/4 inch hardware cloth secured by industrial staples and a board and got in. Then shoved through the automatic door and got into the coop. The coop and run have been proof against racoons, bobcats, coyotes, and a fox for 5 years. It was secure we thought. It has 18 inches of hardware cloth dug out from the concrete barrier at the edges.
The Sheriff came and reported an event. Humane law enforcement came. I am to contact them in 2 days. She termed the dogs a "public nuisance" which I think will result in restrictions on him and how he confines them. I have pictures of everything, even, unfortunately very clear photos of his Husky killing them all.
I am starting to get past the shock, horror, and rage, and just crying and waking up at night and trying to organize my mind what action to take.
I am making a list of damages to give to my lawyer and will purse the dog owner in small claims court.
If anyone can think of anything to add to damages or any experience that will help please let me know. I am in southern CA, and we have fairly strict laws about this, especially when it includes killing to livestock, which includes chickens.
By the way, the dog just killed them and went off and left them laying in a pile.
I am so, so angry and so sad. My husband loved them, too. He built the coop and run and put his back into making them safe and comfortable. One irresponsible person caused this. It did not have to happen.
I am thinking no more chickens. Then I am thinking put in a barrier with electrical wire. That dog will come back, I think
I am so sorry. I love my girls too, can't imagine loosing them that way.

I used 1/4 hardware cloth for my run too. Since I have an electric wire at the base of my chain link fence to keep my dogs from digging out, I added another wire around the base of the girls' run as well. Usually one run in with the wire is enough to persuade most dogs or predators. And you're right, unless the owner receives strict penalties, his dog will be back.

I wish you the best of luck

Not sure a rural Ohio solution will help you in California, but...

(A) Subject to divisions (A)(2) and (3) of section 955.261 of the Revised Code, a dog that is chasing or approaching in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack, that attempts to bite or otherwise endanger, or that kills or injures a person or a dog that chases, threatens, harasses, injures, or kills livestock, poultry, other domestic animal, or other animal, that is the property of another person, except a cat or another dog, can be killed at the time of that chasing, threatening, harassment, approaching, attempt, killing, or injury. If, in attempting to kill such a dog, a person wounds it, the person is not liable to prosecution under the penal laws that punish cruelty to animals

Laws allowing killing livestock eating predators are one thing.
Another thing is discharging a firearm in the area where you live.
You are correct, sir. Fortunately, I live 10 miles from the nearest small town, in the woods. ❤️

Attachments

• Barn-Chicken-House.jpg
    Barn-Chicken-House.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 15
I am not going to be popular here but nonetheless as a dog person here goes. Why was your first inclination to sue? Did you first contact the owner directly in a civil and grieving manner (as you clearly are) and ask for compensation AND firmly ensure this would not happen again? Was this an on-going occurrence, their loose dog or a one off? Yes, I am dog person and yes, I have chickens and yes, I have lost my flock to dogs who were roaming the neighborhood and yes I was angry. Eventually it was determined the owners were NOT of the responsible variety and all too willing to release their dogs to the pound. Since I work with dog rescue folks we were able instead to rehome them. Give the owner a chance to make things right instead of escalating the event to bad feelings
Re-read the op's post. I seen "repeatedly dug under my fence for the last year and a half". "I warned him to control them". "I warned him of my chickens". Kinda left me with the impression it was ongoing. The owner had enough chances. Irresponsible people like them are the reason there is such a need for "dog rescue folks"
We had stray dogs attempt to get our chickens and after chewing up some plywood and bent wires they couldn't get into the coop so they attacked one of our horses. $375 dollars in vet bills to sew up his leg, neck and belly. We had pictures of the dog collar with the owners phone # and with blood on its face and it wasn't enough "evidence" to pursue reimbursement. We didn't witness the attack.
We have since fenced our entire 4 acres with 4 foot high woven wire and installed an electronically controlled gate on our driveway. Keeps our animals safe from the stray dogs that roam around. Cats that crap on horse hay get used as fish food in the river. Had a severe stray cat problem from irresponsible pet owners. Took almost 2 years to control the population. People like them are why there is so many shelter animals that need homes.
Our state law states that "a county with a dog licensing ordinance shall use such collected funds to reimburse a farmer for loss or injuries to farm animals.....When requesting reimbursement, our commissioners said we don't have an ordinance per-say....The 4 annual animal licensing renewals for our dogs went into the trash. I will never pay another license fee again.

This is horrible. I can't imagine it happening. We treat our chickens more like pets and are very attached to them like most on the forum do. Something like this is a tragedy.

I commend you and your husband for your cool heads in the moment. I would have killed the dog in anger. Then years of lawsuits and problems with the neighbor to follow. Not a good outcome either way! I know a judge can force the removal of the dog by the owner, not euthanasia, physically remove it from the property and it's up to the owner if it would be another property of his, giving it to a friend or to a shelter, etc.
I had a similar incident happen to a friend with a neighbor's roaming dog, the judge mandated the dog be kept inside the property and leashed at all times with a significant penalty to enforce it. This might work in your case as well.

Once you figure it out, do get chickens again. They are worth it. You'll have new favourites and be happy again.

A quick accurate shot and a quiet burial will stop future issues like this.

Back
Top Bottom