All hens looking thin and stopped laying eggs in Tennessee

ooltewah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
Ooltewah, TN
Ok. So I'm new to chickens- have had them less than a year. Live in humid tn but its fall now and getting cooler. I think several of my hens are molting. We had a fun of resp disease about three weeks ago I gave all 30 chickens a shot every night for 3 days. I've been feeding them oatmeal with applesauce and scrambled eggs about two to three times a week. One of my hens wouldn't leave the perch so I brought her in and realized how skinny she was. So I've been feeding her wi a syringe. So I started feeling my others and many of them are really thin. But they are eating and drinking. So I thought I should worm them since it was such a humid summer. I've read tons of threads about worming. I don't want to use something in water because I want to know that each one got a dose. So...I went to tractor supply and they didn't have the valdzene that I have read about. So I got the liquid safeguard 10%. But I just read that if they are molting to not give safeguard!!!! This is so crazy!!!! Why are my hens not giving me eggs and why are they loosing weight!!!

Could be a variety of reasons but parasites would be at the top of my list. DId you get them as adults or did you raise them from day olds yourself? If they are older birds the onset of molt and the shorter days will often stop them from laying. And if they are thin due to parasites that won't help either.

You might try ordering your Valbazen on line, I get mine from Amazon, then you could use the Safeguard later. I usually rotate between the two. And make sure to do a repeat dose in 10 days since these meds do not kill worm eggs so you want to clean up any that hatch after your initial treatment.

So if I got them when they 2 days old and, were already vaccinated they could still get worms?

Vaccinations are for virus's, not parasites. They can become infected with worms at any point in their lives. Parasites are in the environment, the eggs survive a long time, and chickens usually get them by ingesting a worm egg (microscopic in size). If you suspect worms, or just want to be sure, then ask your vet to do a fecal float test which will tell you if they have them and which one(s). Many vets will do this even if they don't see birds, but not all will. It's the same test for all species of animal. Some environments have a heavy parasite load which increases the odds of infection, some environments have less of a load, every flock is different.

Back
Top Bottom