all hens?

Stacys chicks

In the Brooder
May 7, 2015
Missouri
There-You-Go
Wondering if these are all hens

Awe man because they said sexed pullets when I bought them. I don't want to have to get rid of any I love them. :(

Last edited:
Awe man because they said sexed pullets when I bought them. I don't want to have to get rid of any I love them.
sad.png

There is a 5-15% chance of an "oops" with sexed pullets (exception being sex linked hybrids and auto sexing pure breeds) due to the complication of vent sexing. It can be a good not to get *too* attached before you can be sure of gender or to buy birds that are not dependent on vent sexing for gender ID so you can know those babies you get are what they are supposed to be.

Awe man. Well it did say sex link on the crate but then again it was orchlens. I read they go off coloring with barred rocks. It would make since though because the only ones who fight and dance around are the light ones. So if I have 3 how do I choose the roo to keep?

Last edited:

So no way these are pullets? Lol

The thing with barring is that the males can have one or two barring genes, and females can only have one. One barring gene results in the darker barred birds, two barring genes results in lighter barred birds. The birds in your photo look like they have two barring genes--that means they must be males since the females cannot have two barring genes.

Last edited:
Well I appreciate any advice on how to choose a roo to keep. I love them all. Now only 2 stare each other down most the time. One kinda stays out of it. But each has paired itself with a darker one(hen). But any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom