all I can say is "wow!" - duck poo rules!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AngieChick, Jun 14, 2010.

1. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Every year I put together and hang a number of hanging baskets. They look lovely every year, but they have never looked nearly as beautiful as they do right now. The flowers are huge, the foliage is filling in, and the leaves are bright green. The only difference is that every week I am watering them with gross icky duck pond water. It's still early in the season, but what an incredible difference I'm seeing. I am now a believer in the power of duck poo! [​IMG]

Thank you Wifezilla for posting ages ago about your experiences with it. I am just amazed.

2. MissCluck

MissCluck Songster

ha ha! Only a gardener would appreciate poo!

I like the poo my animals and birds produce too - great for the garden. I've got horse, goat and chicken poo for the plants.

3. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Songster

Man I gotta try it.... I keep forgetting [​IMG]

4. MissCluck

MissCluck Songster

I also pour my fish tank water and African Clawed Frog water on my garden plants! Works a bit like duck-poo water, I'd expect. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    When we cleaned out the straw from the duck garage in April, we put it on top of the garden. The unseasonal huge amount of rain we got soaked it into the soil. Then when it dried, my hubby mulched it and spread it out. As I plant the garden, I just make a hole in the top straw and plant. The plants are so healthy and hardly any weeds.

Yup, Nuthin rules like duck poo!

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i had ducks in my room for 7 months. i layed sheets on my floor and had towels in their pen. soo when it was time to do duck laundry i shook off all the poop into my mom's flower garden and they doubled! and now with my ducklings brooder which is a kids port-a-crib thing.. i shake off towels into the peach tree so i am in the middle of fertilizing that too. duck poo rules!!!!!

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I havent used duck poo on the plants yet but my mother was just amazed at how fast rabbit poo composted and what wonderful dirt it made. did wonders for her plants.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Our brooder bedding is old towels. I would rinse them before tossing them into the washer. The rinse water was fabulous for the garden! Now I take poo-laden straw and shavings and jazz up gardens and compost. Sometimes I make a tea, soaking the dirty bedding in a bucket, then I strain out the shavings and pour the fertilizer water on the plants. yum!

9. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Songster

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Duck water from their bath tub and kiddy pool goes in the vegetable garden on above ground plants, flower beds, new pecan tree, container plants.. soiled straw from nests gets buried in garden where there aren't any plants.. I also spread some around tomato plants before they started putting on fruit. The corn loved the poo water as well as the cucumbers, squash, beans, pepper. The pecan tree we planted last spring is enjoying a weekly 5 gallon bucket of it too..

10. Dingo

Dingo Songster

Tomatoes love duck poo, I had some volunteer tomatoes show up in where their run use to be, the plants grew over 7 feet tall and produced more cherry tomatoes than we could pick. really any poultry poo is good, but ducks also make manure tea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by