All I want are 8x8 plans!

krcote

Songster
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Concord, NH
I've looked under coop designs here, searched the entire internet and practically offered my soul for free comprehensive detailed plans. Is there such thing out there hiding in the clutches of the BYCers? I've got the OK from the man, he says all he needs are plans! HELP!!!!

its really not that hard. does it HAVE to be 8x8 plans? could you use 12x12? if so I have some that I could Email you (i think)

I paid for them and ended up not using them... we built my barn using common sense.... and we really didnt use our saw that much either... I will try to get pick here for you maybe that will help ok!

DSC03780.jpg

DSC03788.jpg

DSC03812.jpg

DSC03817.jpg

DSC03820.jpg

DSC03821.jpg

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03867.jpg

DSC03869.jpg

DSC03877.jpg

The only thing I wish I had done differently is to have added a exaust fan, and a REAL door.... the weather has frozen the door shut on this man man door several times already we have 3-4 mnths left of winter.... so this spring/summer I am getting a real exterior door for this thing.. (dont tell hubby he says it will look getto)

It need trim and it need paint but it cost us about $1000 in wood and other stuff like insulation, nails etc. this is 12x12 and you can see the trusses in the first few photos. we paid a truss factory to make these and to be honest it would have saved me about 100 bucks to do it myself.. all it is is a angled cut and then there are these little brackets you can get for like 55 cents at lowes and you nail those into the wood voila yopu have a truss.... the hardest part (and I am NOT exagerating here) is the roofind.. putting those shingles up HURT!!!! I told my hubby I knew what I wasnt gonna be when I grew up and that is a roofer... I have allot of respect for those guys now!

anyway lemme know and I will try to dig up those plans I paid 20 dollars for and never used!!!

Just a few suggestions here that do not need plans..

do not put your "man" door near the corner of the wall.. keep it at least 30 inches away..your concrete blocks can dictate the exact measurement..

make your roof very steep.. no less than 5 to 12.. snow will slide off better.

do not use asphalt or rolled roofing. instead get the steel ribbed sheet metal roofing..

make the floor out of concrete if you can afford to..

make the walls 2 rows of concrete blocks to start and then frame the wood on top of the blocks.. this will eliminate critters,even rats and weasels..

insulate the walls and ceiling.. I keep a 60 watt bulb in mine and the water hardly ever gets ice in it.
even in subzero temps..

I put insulation in the ceiling and then added a suspended 2x2 tile ceiling.. one drawback to this is that there is a lot of humidity created and the tiles bellied out.
still looks ok, though.. If I had to do that part over,(and I might have to someday) I would use wafer board or plywood in place of the tiles..

If you can, put a few electric recepticles in for lights brooders and incubators.. If you put them in the ceiling, they ae out of the way and the chickens will not try to use the cords for "roosts".....

this is getting too long.. hope you can use some of it..

edit: one more thing. do not use those gang nails for your truss joints.. make up some plywood gussets and nail them in. a dab of construction adhesive works wonders here, also. for web spacing etc. steal the measurement from a truss at the building center, or buy just one and lay it on a floor and cut all your pieces to match.. then take the pattern back and get your money back..

now I am finished........again.......

Last edited:
Quote:
Look up Garden Sheds instead of Coop Designs. You can easily adapt any of them to a coop. Also both Lowes and Home Depot have books on designs for sheds. You can order online from Barnes & Noble Booksellers or Amazon.com.

Quote:
Hey there I had the humitity issue and I added a "SMALL" fan like a desk top fan to circulate the air and the issue is no longer there!!! I am going to add ply wood walls to my barn this summer just make sure that if you add plywood you paint with a oil based paint so that the moisture doesnt get to be a issue! I am going to paint mine with Kilz in WHITE!!! it should make the barn appear lighter inside!!!

Quote:
Hey there I had the humitity issue and I added a "SMALL" fan like a desk top fan to circulate the air and the issue is no longer there!!! I am going to add ply wood walls to my barn this summer just make sure that if you add plywood you paint with a oil based paint so that the moisture doesnt get to be a issue! I am going to paint mine with Kilz in WHITE!!! it should make the barn appear lighter inside!!!

KILZ !!! I love kilz.. I painted everything in my bathroom with it and still have not had an issue with mildew.. and it sticks to anything you want to paint..
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am a retired home building contractor.. I will help you with answers anyway I can.. Heck, you buy me a plane ticket and room and board, and I will come there and build it for you for nothing..

Quote:
I am a retired home building contractor.. I will help you with answers anyway I can.. Heck, you buy me a plane ticket and room and board, and I will come there and build it for you for nothing..

Where were you 9 months ago!?!?!?

lol.png

Rebecca, the coop looks great! Just need to see the chickens, now!
thumbsup.gif

I knew I had seen a plan somewhere on an 8' x8' coop and had saved the link. I checked my favorite sites and here is the link to the Vermont University site. They have rough plans for small, medium and large coops.

http://www.ext.VT.edu/pubs/poultry/factsheets/10html

They have a couple of pages of general information with some instructions first and then the plans.

I hope that is what you were looking for.

Back
Top Bottom