All in One PVC Feeder/Waterer

AntRob

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys, I was inspired by several different homemade feeders and waterers on this site and decided to give it a shot. I love working with PVC so here's what I came up with. I plan to put together a How-To page at some point but we'll see if there's any interest. Anyhow, I was trying to find a low maintenance, easy way to feed and water the flock so that I didn't have to climb in and out of the chicken tractor every couple days or so. So far I've got about 6 months out of this without any issues at all. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions.

Just a quick edit here, someone asked how it worked with the water and the feed in the same chamber so I quickly drew this sketch (warning: I'm no artist.. ). It shows (or I hope it does :/ ) how the feed tube goes down in the center of the water chamber and each are sealed from each other.

Last edited:

Usrudd

In the Brooder
May 1, 2016
Do you think there is a way to keep the water from freezing in winter? I live in Vermont and am only now setting up a coop for next spring! I've never had chickens before. Thank you.
Usrudd

AntRob

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Do you think there is a way to keep the water from freezing in winter? I live in Vermont and am only now setting up a coop for next spring! I've never had chickens before. Thank you.
Usrudd
Yeah I plan to use one of those mini aquarium heaters that's small enough to go down into the water chamber. I've read somewhere else where a guy used one of those and it worked well. I haven't gone through a winter yet with this but I'm guessing it'll work fine.

Mijmo

Hatching
Aug 17, 2016
Did you construct the watering part so that you could clean out algae or hard water deposits?

AntRob

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Did you construct the watering part so that you could clean out algae or hard water deposits?

No but I did think about it after the fact and if I had to do it again I would have put a threaded cap or one of those rubber caps with a metal clamp on the end of the watering extension. That way it could be easily cleaned. So far I've had it for about 6 months without any issues like that.

4x4Runner

Chirping
Jul 20, 2016
El Cajon, CA
That is awesome! I made a PVC feeder for my girls. I also had the nipper waterers but they didn't like them and I found them drinking from puddles more than the nipples. We went back to regular bowls. Bet you could sell some on Etsy.

Top Bottom