All Laying in same spot!!!!!!!!!!

timordog

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
I have 11 hens and the RIR were the first to lay. They go in there winter coop and lay in the furthest corner. Now the Americaunas are starting to lay too and they go to the same spot. How normal is this????? Nothing to worry about right? I know we have to check at least three times a day b/c we don't want omelets!!!
Tricia

Yes - it is normal for them to lay in the same spot. They are usually careful to scoot other hens' eggs under them when sitting.

Derby

I think it is pretty normal. As long as they are laying where you can find the eggs and you can gather them before they are broken you should be in good shape. It would be nice if you could train them to use a box.

I was talking to a guy the other day who had chickens years ago. Not too long ago he was cleaning out the garage and found about 30 eggs all together in a hidden place.

Mine all use the same box, I love it when one is waiting outside the box to lay and she just can't hold it any more and I find it right outside the box!
gig.gif

mine do that too. In the hotter days of summer they would use one of the milk crates. Now that it's colder, they all use the same wooden crate.

Back
Top Bottom