All members that sale chickens for profit (ha) please answer me this..

Quote:
thats exactly what i do, vicious cycle

lol,,, yuppers,,,, my "yards" are just a circle,,, as they get older, they move to the next yard, and price goes up,,, but, they almost never get older then 4 months before their gone.
but my chicks paid for my pheasants, then paid for my peas,, and so on. they even paid for their pen before they got to it lol
wink.png

How do you guys see bantams going in the next few years? I'm talking about good quality stock. I'm really wanting to have a small bantam hatchery. Is this a good time as the prices might be going down and i can wait it out and have the best stock when the market comes back? I really don't want to breed big chickens.

i think bantams used to be a big thing,, but now seems like its just a few old folks that had some when they were kids... to me, it seems everyone is going for meat and egg chickens. i still sell a few banties,, but 50 since about january,, against maybe 1000 standard chicks in the same time table..

There's a man a few miles from me that has like 1200 OEGB's and various other bantams, all show quality. He hasn't been able to give them away sonce last Summer. He contacted me the other day about BBS Standard Cochin hatching eggs because he's fixing to get back into standards. All I know is the hawks and owls put me out of the bantam business 5 years ago and I never got back into them.

hmm. I'll have to think about that. Do you think that it will hurt a lot of the breeds to not have so many people interested in them? Id really love to do bantams. Do you think there is a market for FFA and 4h at all?

Last edited:
Buff orps because they are big and friendly, and barred-rock mixes because they lay huge eggs and lots of them. Just depends on which quality they are looking for.

it used to be bantams, not so much anymore, do i think it will hurt them, not so much. look what popularity has done to the labrador they breed so many they dont even look like they should anymore.

I think that their will always be some bantam enthusiasts around but it seems like people are moving to dual-purpose and laying breeds(lg. fowl).

Back
Top Bottom