All My Chickens..... a coop opera!

Pics
Good morning folks :frow

Safeway used to have them in both the fresh fish counter and frozen... But I'm uncertain how they will taste. For both pre-cooked and fresh I like the cajun grocer. You'll also want to watch a few youtub videos on how to pinch the tails. I'm going to ask for WhoDat's help shrinking my recipe below.

See the Cajun grocer above

:frow Good morning Bob, have a great day

WhoDat, help me shrink my recipe to something for two...

40 qt pot
4-5 onions quartered
20 heads of garlic
20 pounds of new potatoes
15 ears of corn cut in half
2 pints of whole baby bella mushrooms
20 or so Jalapenos cut in half lengthwise
5lbs Andouille Sausage sliced
8 oz crab boil liquid (yup I double things)
2 packs of Zatarans 16oz for the water plus another two for the use after cooking
40lbs of mudbugs

I put everything but the mudbugs in the pot, fill with water, bring it to a boil and boil until potatoes are tender. Carefully remove the basket to avoid losing liquid, empty the basket into a big cooler and sprinkle with seasoning. Close the cooler and return the basket to the pot. Bring the water back to a boil, add the mud bugs, stir cover and turn the fire off. Let set for five minutes then remove the mudbugs add them to the cooler, sprinkle more seasoning over them, stir toss or shake. Line table with news paper and dump cooler onto the news paper. We serve in coke flats. Serves about 15 people.
Thank you Bob! :)

I will most definitely agree with this!!! I honestly don’t think I’d like them your way at all 🤢.... no offense... I just can’t imagine them any other way!
I think the taste profile is probably different than what you are used to eating! I'm sure your water temps are warmer than the lakes where we catch ours. It's kind of like catching lake trout around here, you don't want to eat trout caught from the local seep lakes in the summer, they taste like mud, but if you catch them in the winter to early spring they are really good. This is all conjecture of course, but worth pointing out...I don't eat yucky stuff...:D I still prefer catching and eating trout out of a fast moving stream! :)

Safeway used to have them in both the fresh fish counter and frozen... But I'm uncertain how they will taste. For both pre-cooked and fresh I like the cajun grocer. You'll also want to watch a few youtub videos on how to pinch the tails. I'm going to ask for WhoDat's help shrinking my recipe below.

40 qt pot
4-5 onions quartered
20 heads of garlic
2 packs of Zatarans 16oz for the water plus another two for the use after cooking
40lbs of mudbugs

I put everything but the mudbugs in the pot, fill with water, bring it to a boil and boil until potatoes are tender. Carefully remove the basket to avoid losing liquid, empty the basket into a big cooler and sprinkle with seasoning. Close the cooler and return the basket to the pot. Bring the water back to a boil, add the mud bugs, stir cover and turn the fire off. Let set for five minutes then remove the mudbugs add them to the cooler, sprinkle more seasoning over them, stir toss or shake. Line table with news paper and dump cooler onto the news paper. We serve in coke flats. Serves about 15 people.
They can't ship to WA, because of restrictions...I'm so bummed! Thank you for the information though!

Edit: I just found that they can ship boiled crawfish! I do believe I'm going to be trying this, after our kitchen is put back together and I can get our daughter & SIL down here! I can't wait! :)

Last edited:

40 qt pot
4-5 onions quartered
20 heads of garlic
40lbs of mudbugs

Thank you for sharing! I think you got it right! Hubs does the big boiling.. I guess just cut all that in half... and we don’t use Andouille... I only like a local brand of sausage for my boiling... but all that looks about right to me! 👍🏻

I think the taste profile is probably different than what you are used to eating! I'm sure your water temps are warmer than the lakes where we catch ours. It's kind of like catching lake trout around here, you don't want to eat trout caught from the local seep lakes in the summer, they taste like mud, but if you catch them in the winter to early spring they are really good. This is all conjecture of course, but worth pointing out...I don't eat yucky stuff...:D I still prefer catching and eating trout out of a fast moving stream! :)
Yea, and I think yall may even have a different breed of crawfish... I know there are lots of different breeds... the ones we have in our yards are not the same ones we eat... so that probably plays a part in taste too!

They can't ship to WA, because of restrictions...I'm so bummed! Thank you for the information though!

Edit: I just found that they can ship boiled crawfish! I do believe I'm going to be trying this, after our kitchen is put back together and I can get our daughter & SIL down here! I can't wait! :)
One of my nephews used to work for a company that would travel all over the US doing crawfish boils... the LA way 😉... have no idea how much that would cost though! I’m sure a lot!

Remember this walking broody? Well she has decided to set... soooooo, I gave her three eggs😳
Now someone said that the eggs are fertile for three weeks so maybe, just maybe there might be a chance! No biggie if they are not but it’d be a really nice surprise if some hatched! I am seriously thinking about getting two eggs from my neighbor and adding those as well.. for just in case. But I don’t know if I want to chance that or not as I DO NOT want any roosters!! Ugh! What to do!

Oops.. forgot the pic...
33B4D45F-1FBA-4F6E-A90D-69A1A04F7DBB.jpeg

Remember this walking broody? Well she has decided to set... soooooo, I gave her three eggs😳
Now someone said that the eggs are fertile for three weeks so maybe, just maybe there might be a chance! No biggie if they are not but it’d be a really nice surprise if some hatched! I am seriously thinking about getting two eggs from my neighbor and adding those as well.. for just in case. But I don’t know if I want to chance that or not as I DO NOT want any roosters!! Ugh! What to do!
Yeah, that's a little risky! I don't know what to tell you!

Back
Top Bottom