All my chicks are dead...

Ditto Dat^^ and wouldn't it be wonderful to catch that little buttlicker learning about electric wire on a game cam vid?
Considering both of those options now. I can get my hands on an outdoor wifi cam for a reasonable price too. But I think my money is going to be best spent on more hardware cloth and investing in a full-blown privacy fence.

Awe, you have the sweetest hubby! I'm so sorry for the loss of your chicks, but what a man! I can't add much to what's been said. Everyone has great suggestions.

Well, it looks like the cards have been dealt for me. I woke up late this morning to a peeping box at the end of my bed. My poor, sweet, traumatized husband felt so bad and sorry for me that he thought new babies would help so he snuck out to the feed store when they opened.

They made me cry all over, but I guess I have to put on a smile and get the brooder out again. He remembered 'bantams', so lord only knows exactly what these tiny things are. Hopefully, with another month, I can re-evaluate what went wrong and rebuild. Though I'll shoot that dog if I ever see it even look at my yard.
somad.gif

Awww...your hubby is so SWEET! So sorry you lost your babies
hugs.gif
Unfortunately things happen sometimes and we learn and grow from the experience! the fact that you are so heartbroken over their loss shows me you LOVED them and do DESERVE these babies
love.gif
So please don't second guess yourself
smile.png
Enjoy your fluffy mystery bantam babies
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss, it isn't easy, but it's part of raising chickens. I say it was through no fault of your own. You did the best that you knew how, and you have learned some powerful , painful lessons. When you say "poultry wire"' is that what we used to call "chicken wire"? If so, the only thing that stuff is good for is keeping chickens in or out of a place. Most predators can rip through chicken wire like nobody's business. Where I live, raccoons , coyotes are my biggest threats.And my own dog! I like to use welded wire then run 1/4 inch hardware "cloth" on the INSIDE of the welded wire, attached with hog clips.

Don't give up.Get some more chicks, and turn the run into fort knox! Best regards, JA

Your husband knew exactly the right medicine to heal a broken heart after losing baby chicks. It's how I have always healed mine when I lose a chick.

Hot wire and an inexpensive plug-in charger would be just the peace of mind you need. It's not expensive and easy to rig. And here's the thing that makes it work to insure the predator never, ever returns - peanut butter dabbed at intervals on the hot wire. It sends a "message" that will never fail!

Your husband knew exactly the right medicine to heal a broken heart after losing baby chicks. It's how I have always healed mine when I lose a chick.

Hot wire and an inexpensive plug-in charger would be just the peace of mind you need. It's not expensive and easy to rig. And here's the thing that makes it work to insure the predator never, ever returns - peanut butter dabbed at intervals on the hot wire. It sends a "message" that will never fail!
Um, I would recommend that you put the peanut butter on BEFORE you energize the fence.....I'm smart like that.
lau.gif

Im so sorry, but the preditor could have been a weasl or a mink i xo not think that dog ciuld have got into there in the night

Back
Top Bottom