All my chicks are dead...

Im so sorry, but the preditor could have been a weasl or a mink i xo not think that dog ciuld have got into there in the night
This happened in the daytime, before 7pm and some time after noon, when I went to work. And I would be shocked to see a weasel or mink in this area, a coon or possum would be more likely.

I am very sorry for your loss, it isn't easy, but it's part of raising chickens. I say it was through no fault of your own. You did the best that you knew how, and you have learned some powerful , painful lessons. When you say "poultry wire"' is that what we used to call "chicken wire"? If so, the only thing that stuff is good for is keeping chickens in or out of a place. Most predators can rip through chicken wire like nobody's business. Where I live, raccoons , coyotes are my biggest threats.And my own dog! I like to use welded wire then run 1/4 inch hardware "cloth" on the INSIDE of the welded wire, attached with hog clips.

Don't give up.Get some more chicks, and turn the run into fort knox! Best regards, JA
Here's to thinking doubled up 1" hex wire would work. :( I like the idea of using both those wires, I'll consider that as I rebuild.

Urban area of Kansas City, right in the middle of 3 major highways, lots of housing and no open areas of land for a couple miles. 

Minks and weasels can live anywhere even in the city but raccoons and possums wont live in the city there is a better chace of them geting hit by a car minkx and weasels are fast and small

When we had to take our granddaughter to Denver Children's Hospital, we stayed at the Ronald McDonald house in downtown Denver. One night I was sitting outside having a smoke, and Jenny was out with me to keep me company. We watched a family of racoons come up out of the storm drain and mosey down the busy street. We also saw skunks and coyotes at the other RMH in Aurora, right off the interstate. Who knows what could be out there, lurking in the city streets after dark.....
lau.gif

Also, weasels generally go after the throat & leave a pretty big mess. She also said there were wiry white hairs stuck to the edge of the wire.

Dogs can and will get through chicken wire, it's easy for them.

Back
Top Bottom