All my chicks died in 20 minutes!

Totes have no circulation.
Right....then why would you want to do this:
You can flip a tote upside down and cut a hole in the center for a light .Cut one side out for them to go in and out .Works like a heat plate or heating pad and they aren't in the dark.
A heat lamp sitting on a tote sounds like a recipe for disaster.
...and what's wrong with them being in the dark?

Right....then why would you want to do this:

A heat lamp sitting on a tote sounds like a recipe for disaster.
...and what's wrong with them being in the dark?
Omg!I would hope no one would try that! The light has to hover over the tote not sit on top.Sorry if anyone misunderstood the purpose of the opening cut out.

I would just luke to thriw out there that my chicks were always panting if it was 95 degrees in my plastic tote.
Rather than use a thermometer, I would watch their behavior to see if they’re too hot or cold. Huddling under the light, they’re too cold. Panting, scattered away from the light, they’re too hot. The heating pad is a wonderful way to brood. They come and go as they need to. If you ever watch a broody with her chicks, they’re not under her all the time. Just when they need to warm up. It also keeps them on a regular night/day schedule. Much better, I think, than going from light all the time to suddenly having to deal with it getting dark at night.

Rather than use a thermometer, I would watch their behavior to see if they’re too hot or cold. Huddling under the light, they’re too cold. Panting, scattered away from the light, they’re too hot. The heating pad is a wonderful way to brood. They come and go as they need to. If you ever watch a broody with her chicks, they’re not under her all the time. Just when they need to warm up. It also keeps them on a regular night/day schedule. Much better, I think, than going from light all the time to suddenly having to deal with it getting dark at night.
I dont have the money so I use a lamp. But yes. I watch behavior more then temp.

I dont have the money so I use a lamp. But yes. I watch behavior more then temp.
Some hatcheries don't recommend using anything but lights the first week to 10 days (depending on which one it is) Brooder plates (pads) don't put out as much heat. All I've ever used is lights .I considered adding a heating pad but even a small one is 20 bucks.

Chicks are just fragile. Lots of things can go wrong. I love the MHP, but everyone needs to do what they are most comfortable with and have had success with. I prefer brooding outside, so the MHP is a little less likely to cause a fire. But lately, I just wait for my Silkies to go broody. And they are almost always broody. Even broodies aren't without other risks: rejection, trampling, etc.

But they are not arsonists. I'm pretty sure they aren't, anyway.

Some hatcheries don't recommend using anything but lights the first week to 10 days (depending on which one it is) Brooder plates (pads) don't put out as much heat. All I've ever used is lights .I considered adding a heating pad but even a small one is 20 bucks.

It's well worth it though IMHO. They get used to a day/night cycle and actually SLEEP. Sleep is super important to any animal, especially growing ones, and constant lights are not healthy for them. No cases of pasty butt and they can warm and cool themselves much easier than with a heat lamp.

Chicks are just fragile. Lots of things can go wrong. I love the MHP, but everyone needs to do what they are most comfortable with and have had success with. I prefer brooding outside, so the MHP is a little less likely to cause a fire. But lately, I just wait for my Silkies to go broody. And they are almost always broody. Even broodies aren't without other risks: rejection, trampling, etc.

But they are not arsonists. I'm pretty sure they aren't, anyway.

I don't know. Silkies are pretty sus with their little poofy heads.

Back
Top Bottom