All my chicks died in 20 minutes!

Oh, how sad. One week old chicks should be kept warmer, all handling kept to a minimum, and must stay dry. Another thing to consider is 'brooder pneumonia' but you would have noticed labored breathing. And remember some plastic, when warmed, will release toxins that may kill chicks. Years ago, I knew a herpetologists whose snakes died when he switched to new plastic cages. And not long ago I experienced problems with a hatch that I put in a plastic tote from Walmart. The chicks were warm, dry but oddly lethargic. I moved them to my old standby the rubber tote and they perked up within a few hours. So, I'll never a plastic tote again.

That many all at once seems like it would be environmental, as others have mentioned. When I brooded under a heat lamp, I didn’t rely on what the temperature was, as much as how the chicks were acting. (I use the heating pad method now, and wouldn’t do it any other way, now.) If it’s too hot, the chicks will be as far away from the lamp as possible. Too cold, they’ll be huddling under the light, often chirping loudly. Comfortable, and they will be peeping contentedly, scattered about the brooder.

I've used pine shavings for all my chicks and never had any issues. I believe it is cedar shavings that shouldn't be used.
So sorry about your chicks.
What kind of light bulb are you using? I have heard of some being coated in teflon for safety, but teflon fumes can kill birds.
I use bulbs you have to read the box they say Teflon free at least mine does

There has to be more .... A picture of your set up was requested ... Pine shavings as recommended by TSC is good, it's CEDAR shavings that shouldn't be used. I use potty pads, less mess in the waterer/feeder and I can watch their pooping.

78* and wet shavings a possibility but not a huge possibility to the death rate :hugsThere has to be more. What kind of heat lamp were you using? As mention the "teflon" bulb is not recommended. I use a plastic bin, never had issues. I do use a heating pad for a several years now and to like the results better.

We need to see your set up.

Opening the top doesn't provide air movement at the level the chicks are at and CO2 would build up in the bottom of the tote. Drilling holes in the tote near the bottom would help move the air around just as it should be in a chicken coop. For the air to move up in a coop and pull ammonia fumes away from roosting hens you will also need ventilation at top and bottom
Heat rises, if the heating pad/lamp is at one end of the tote it will create a natural draft, any holes drilled low in the sides will help pull in fresh air at a lower level, but never had any issues myself using a large tote. I have noticed using cedar or pine shavings the tote tend to smell bad from waste shortly after changing ( a few days or so ) the new bedding I am using this time does not create that smell, it is a natural corn cob bedding and the chicks seem to like it better ( Becks Better Bedding ) amazingly when I recently changed it, it still doesnt smell and still looks clean, I like it myself that it doesnt smell bad, just smells like popcorn.

There has to be more .... A picture of your set up was requested ... Pine shavings as recommended by TSC is good, it's CEDAR shavings that shouldn't be used. I use potty pads, less mess in the waterer/feeder and I can watch their pooping.

78* and wet shavings a possibility but not a huge possibility to the death rate :hugsThere has to be more. What kind of heat lamp were you using? As mention the "teflon" bulb is not recommended. I use a plastic bin, never had issues. I do use a heating pad for a several years now and to like the results better.

We need to see your set up.
We've brooded in a plastic tote for years using a heat lamp at one end of the brooder. I keep at thermometer probe at chick level, with a temp between 90-95 degree range. My heat lamp is adjustable and I lower and raise it accordingly. They have a cool side to move too if they get hot.

I also use potty pads initially, then move to pine shavings after a couple of weeks. After we begin using shavings I elevate the waterer with a wood block, to prevent what OP described in opening post.

@Gravityrides so sorry for your loss, don't give up!! Your surviving chick will need friends, so if you're up to it go get some more today. It will be good for the kids to see your resiliency trying again. Use puppy pads for a few weeks, and keep the brooder temp between 90-95 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom