All my chicks died in 20 minutes!

Pics
Opening the top doesn't provide air movement at the level the chicks are at and CO2 would build up in the bottom of the tote. Drilling holes in the tote near the bottom would help move the air around just as it should be in a chicken coop. For the air to move up in a coop and pull ammonia fumes away from roosting hens you will also need ventilation at top and bottom
Heat rises, if the heating pad/lamp is at one end of the tote it will create a natural draft, any holes drilled low in the sides will help pull in fresh air at a lower level, but never had any issues myself using a large tote. I have noticed using cedar or pine shavings the tote tend to smell bad from waste shortly after changing ( a few days or so ) the new bedding I am using this time does not create that smell, it is a natural corn cob bedding and the chicks seem to like it better ( Becks Better Bedding ) amazingly when I recently changed it, it still doesnt smell and still looks clean, I like it myself that it doesnt smell bad, just smells like popcorn.

There has to be more .... A picture of your set up was requested ... Pine shavings as recommended by TSC is good, it's CEDAR shavings that shouldn't be used. I use potty pads, less mess in the waterer/feeder and I can watch their pooping.

78* and wet shavings a possibility but not a huge possibility to the death rate :hugsThere has to be more. What kind of heat lamp were you using? As mention the "teflon" bulb is not recommended. I use a plastic bin, never had issues. I do use a heating pad for a several years now and to like the results better.

We need to see your set up.
We've brooded in a plastic tote for years using a heat lamp at one end of the brooder. I keep at thermometer probe at chick level, with a temp between 90-95 degree range. My heat lamp is adjustable and I lower and raise it accordingly. They have a cool side to move too if they get hot.

I also use potty pads initially, then move to pine shavings after a couple of weeks. After we begin using shavings I elevate the waterer with a wood block, to prevent what OP described in opening post.

@Gravityrides so sorry for your loss, don't give up!! Your surviving chick will need friends, so if you're up to it go get some more today. It will be good for the kids to see your resiliency trying again. Use puppy pads for a few weeks, and keep the brooder temp between 90-95 degrees.

Thanks for the quick responses! We feel fine. The plastic bin was open for ventilation and we have fairly new smoke/CO detectors all over the house.

That’s disappointing to hear about pine shavings not being recommended. They were recommended by the staff at tractor supply.
As long as they're covered with paper towels 4-7 days they're fine.The paper towels are easy to walk on and they won't eat them.

This is a strange one. First thing to say is don't blame yourselves! It can't have been the cold. Cold chicks huddle and they don't jump around and interact as you have described. It can't have been a germ that you introduced. If they were healthy when you got them then it takes longer for an infection to kill them, and you would have seen signs of illness before they died. You don't say whether they were eating and drinking and poohing before they died? Did you check their backsides for 'pasty bottom'? I lost a chick at 2 weeks from this. However, it's unlikely that all 7 would die at the same time from this. If the brooder was well-ventilated then I do not believe Co2 build-up could be the problem, especially because they were in your house. There are 4 options. Either they were not drinking, or eating, and that would kill them all at the same time. Secondly, they were infected when you bought them. Thirdly, there was a pathogen in the food you gave them. Fourthly, they did not know how to drink. Chicks born out of incubators have no mother to show them. I normally 'teach' chicks out of incubator to drink. They know how to peck the crumbs, but they may need to learn where the drinker is. Half an inch of water in a shallow bowl, and stick their beaks into it. They soon get the idea.

Did they flop over and kick like dying roaches then go lethargic? That’s usually how they die when they’re too cold, and it usually takes 20 minutes from beginning to end. If they were already chilled, 78F wouldn’t have been warm enough for them.

The temperature was too low chicks should be around at least 95 degrees for the first week. They could have also gotten sick from the wet bedding.

Back
Top Bottom