All my chicks died in 20 minutes!

Pics
Some hatcheries don't recommend using anything but lights the first week to 10 days (depending on which one it is) Brooder plates (pads) don't put out as much heat. All I've ever used is lights .I considered adding a heating pad but even a small one is 20 bucks.
I use an adjustable reptile lamp. So it does not have a light on it. I have raised 3 healthy batches of chicks so far. I make sure I keep the dust off and after a few weeks unplug it when I'm not hime.

It's well worth it though IMHO. They get used to a day/night cycle and actually SLEEP. Sleep is super important to any animal, especially growing ones, and constant lights are not healthy for them. No cases of pasty butt and they can warm and cool themselves much easier than with a heat lamp.
Ceramic heat emitters are fabulous. I used one with my baby chicks last year and had no issues . I attached a 4 x 4 brooder to the run but don't have outlets to power multiple devices yet so I'll have to use an extension cord this year if I raise chicks again .I canceled my last order for chicks because I don't have everything I need yet.

Some hatcheries don't recommend using anything but lights the first week to 10 days (depending on which one it is) ...
Inertia. And a need to give simple directions.

Because lights are one way that works doesn't mean they are the only way that works. But most of the others don't have all the ins and outs figured out yet. Same for plates and mhp. I used a wool hen and plan to use it again. None of the chicks showed any signs it was hard on them. None of them had any signs of pasty butt, none cheeped in distress, there was no piling up, they grew well, ect.

Last edited:
I prefer having 2 heat sources not one ( one side warmer than the other)When I can find a reliable heat pad reasonably priced I'll buy it and make one myself but until then I'll use radiant heat from a ceramic heat emitter.I was wondering if anyone has used the heat mats for plants and how long do they last?

This is a strange one. First thing to say is don't blame yourselves! It can't have been the cold. Cold chicks huddle and they don't jump around and interact as you have described. It can't have been a germ that you introduced. If they were healthy when you got them then it takes longer for an infection to kill them, and you would have seen signs of illness before they died. You don't say whether they were eating and drinking and poohing before they died? Did you check their backsides for 'pasty bottom'? I lost a chick at 2 weeks from this. However, it's unlikely that all 7 would die at the same time from this. If the brooder was well-ventilated then I do not believe Co2 build-up could be the problem, especially because they were in your house. There are 4 options. Either they were not drinking, or eating, and that would kill them all at the same time. Secondly, they were infected when you bought them. Thirdly, there was a pathogen in the food you gave them. Fourthly, they did not know how to drink. Chicks born out of incubators have no mother to show them. I normally 'teach' chicks out of incubator to drink. They know how to peck the crumbs, but they may need to learn where the drinker is. Half an inch of water in a shallow bowl, and stick their beaks into it. They soon get the idea.

Did they flop over and kick like dying roaches then go lethargic? That’s usually how they die when they’re too cold, and it usually takes 20 minutes from beginning to end. If they were already chilled, 78F wouldn’t have been warm enough for them.

The temperature was too low chicks should be around at least 95 degrees for the first week. They could have also gotten sick from the wet bedding.

Back
Top Bottom