All my chicks survived the tornadoes!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeafLover, Jun 29, 2011.

1. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Well, we had two twisters rip our neighborhood in half about a week ago. A branch from our silver maple, bigger than our truck, crushed our coop. I walked- no RAN- down there to see the damage....and there they where..... Next to the destruction site..... Eating. [​IMG] So thank goodness we didn't loose any. Apparently, they where in the cage/coop when the branch fell and it somehow turned over and crushed w/o harming the crew...

When they saw me, they turned and casually walked up to me. I grabbed their butts ( some of them where rather heavy!) and put them in a small cage on the porch--which they where not pleased with at all-- and we're now working on getting that branch off their home.

You'd think they'd learn, but it's been raining and they just walk around in the downpour [​IMG] .

Anybody had anything like this happen? And how do I get them to get under shelter when it's storming??

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Very lucky - you and the chickens [​IMG]

Young chickens sometimes need to be shown to go to a dry area when it starts raining (but rain does not always bother them). If raised by a broody, she will teach them - if raised by you or me, I usually teach mine, shooing them under cover and standing with them a bit. I only do it once or twice, then let them figure it out.

But it normally does not rain here too much.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Wow! I'm so glad that they are all safe. There were tornadoes in our area before we had the chicks for a week, I wanted to bring them in the house, but they had to stay inthe garage. I saw the tornado that hit Wilson, nc on my way to work on April 16th, I don't ever want to see one again.

As far as chickens and the rain, ours are almost 12 weeks old, they figured out that rain means go inside all by themselves. [​IMG]

4. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Glad they are all okay! We had tornadoes come through Western Mass a few weeks ago, and luckily they missed my house by about 1/4 mile.

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am just so happy that you and all of them are all safe.

6. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Thanks everybody [​IMG]
    Usually al we get here is sprinkles....then they usually go up. I guess it's time to teach them. I mean, they where doing great at staying undercover, then they just decided , I guess, that they where bored?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by