All my hens but one are missing feathers at the base of their tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lioness27, Jan 22, 2017.

1. lioness27

lioness27 New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    All my hens but onehave bald patches at the base of their tails. The skin is very leathery and dry but unbroken. No one is laying either. Could one hen be picking on all the others?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Do you have any roosters in your flock or just the hens? The location of the bare spots is a common one to see "rooster damage", so that is the first thought that would come to mind if there are males in your flock.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    x2.Check for Lice/Mites.They can do a lot of damage.

4. lioness27

lioness27 New Egg

Jan 22, 2017

5. lioness27

lioness27 New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    No roosters. The hens are all the same age of 9 months.

6. lioness27

lioness27 New Egg

Jan 22, 2017
    I don't see any parasites bit am new to chicken raising.

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Where are looking?They can be found under the vent and wings.

8. rachelsflock

rachelsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2015
    Detroit Metro Area
    They might be picking each other, but the solution for mites and lice is easier than the solution for picking. They may also be mating each other. Hens don't need to make sense in that department. It can be a dominance thing.

9. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    Lice or mites could be the cause, and if so, I would recommend using Prozap Garden and Poultry Dust, but they could also be molting. For some reason, one of my hens is molting right now, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

10. CWP1966

CWP1966 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    Same problem here. I checked at night with a flashlight, no mites or lice. Treated them anyway. It seems to only affect the dark colored birds. I have seven coops/runs. 32 hens and 4 roosters. The 2 coops that are affected are out in the open. The rest are inside a fence and they are fine. I have welded wire and hardware cloth around the bottom. Also concrete around the bottom to stop predators from digging. Sparrows and wrens can still get in. They carry mites and lice. Feathers are full of protein.Chickens will pick each other for that protein. I raised their protein and treated them for mites. It may be overcrowded . Might be the pecking order.The dark ones are bare around the vent but still laying. I need help too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by