All Natural Herbal Remedies and Recipes for Chickens

So am I to understand that this thread is about cooking for your chickens ???
roll.png
It's really not a big deal!

My favorite thing to use for a wound wash is witchhazel in which I have added 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
A quick way to make a salve--- Make an infused herbal oil, by adding your chosen herbs to a couple cups of olive, safflower, jojoba oil etc leave to sit and infuse for a couple weeks shaking once a day. Strain and you have your oil. To each cup of oil add 1/4 cup beeswax. Heat until beeswax is completely melted ( low and slow is best here) Use a small glas bowl to put a tsp of the mix in the freezer and let set up if it is too soft add more beeswax, too hard add oil. While the finished product is till hot pour into fars or tins. Store in cool dark place.

A great salve for burns, cuts, wounds, is an anti-inflammatory, anti bacterial, and anti microbial
using the method above, add these dried herbs to the oil
3 tsp calendula
3 tsp comfrey
3 tsp st. johns wort
3 tsp lavender
Thanks for this!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I am delighted to see this thread up and running!
I have a pretty full 'recipe' box, as well. I have been healing with herbs for about 30 years, and once I got chickens it was the most natural thing in the world to continue using herbal means to keep them healthy!
In our family we find ourselves in a doctor's office about every 10 years, and the only time we are at the vet it is to have somebody spayed or neutered.
Will enjoy sharing on this thread, once the holidays and company isn't consuming all my free time!!!!

I have a pretty full 'recipe' box, as well. I have been healing with herbs for about 30 years, and once I got chickens it was the most natural thing in the world to continue using herbal means to keep them healthy!
In our family we find ourselves in a doctor's office about every 10 years, and the only time we are at the vet it is to have somebody spayed or neutered.
Will enjoy sharing on this thread, once the holidays and company isn't consuming all my free time!!!!
I look forward to reading what you have to offer!!!!!
clap.gif

A like mind is delightlfully welcomed! Share away! I love to add new recipes with others. It will be good to learn things from others who also have herbal experience.

Once my birds started coming down with a respiratory issue and their eyes were bubling and mucus was coming out of their eyes and noses, wheezing, gasping for air, sneezing,coughing, not eating. I made this tea and served it warm. The next day they were feeling better and eating their feed. I served it for 7 days

Infection fighter

2 tsp echinacea ( immune system boosting and attacks bacteria)
2 tsp goldenseal ( kills a wide range of bacteria and fungi)
1 tsp minced garlic( highly antimicrobial, fights bacteria, fungi, viruses and parasites)
2 tsp licorice root ( anti inflammatory, eases cough and nurishes adrenal glands)
1 tsp marshmallow rt ( soothes inflamed mucus membranes, mildly stimulating for the immune sysytem)

These are all dried herbs. In a med pot, add 7 cups water and the echinacea, garlic, licorice, marshmallow. Simmer for 3-5 mins with cover on. Remove from heat and add goldenseal, return cover and let sit 5-10 mins. The longer it sits the stronger it gets. Sometimes I let it sit until it cools to room temp and then I can fill a gallon waterer half full and then add warm water. This way you can save some for later. Just keep it tightly covered in the fridge. ( any of these herbal teas are also great for us too)
All the recipies you have given us so far sound wonderful and I am looking foward to trying them when needed. I do have a question.....where do I find these herbs, the ones like peppermint and lavendar I have from my garden, but the others you have listed, who do I buy them from? And thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with using herbs for healing with us.
smile.png

All the recipies you have given us so far sound wonderful and I am looking foward to trying them when needed. I do have a question.....where do I find these herbs, the ones like peppermint and lavendar I have from my garden, but the others you have listed, who do I buy them from? And thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with using herbs for healing with us.
smile.png
In the next big town over ( I am in a small area, no fast food only a small dinner open for breakfast only) there is an herb shop. They sell everything you could imagine, herbs, essential oils, etc. Try looking it up for your area and see what you find. Teh shop I prefer to go to is farther away but worth it, she will ship. It is Life thyme botanicles iin belton missouri. Check it out, she has great prices, and the herbs are super fresh ( I did note the freshness for dried herbs?) I will state it again in case. For dried herbs you always want it too have the same tint as it had when alive. It should not be all grey ( save mugwort and sage and the like that are grey when alive) they should smell STRONGLY of their scent when the jar is open (if you go to a shop ask to smell the herb) Even if you dont know what it should smell like make sure when you smell it,, well you can smell it. It shouldnt have a faint smell and you shouldnt smell a perfumey smell either, it should earthy , floral, etc. Essential oils should be priced individually, Lavender and white pine are not the same price. I hope this helps
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom